Adopting a puppy/young dog

wdwerker

Good looking pups!

I'd take um' both, the can keep each other company and out of trouble when you are there.

"Filling out applications, home visits, references, contracts......"

Almost sound like this belongs in the Project Journal section.

• Like 1

I recently lost my boxer to illness, she was 9. I've had boxers all my life. I started looking for a pup and there were few litters to choose from. All the ones I was interested in wanted high prices, some had waiting lists. I've had rescue boxers before but never ran into bureaucracy and paperwork.

IMG_2879.thumb.JPG.971a68d7b1e6c272286d09384c280582.JPG

Missy was my companion for the last 8 years. 

• Sad 4

Good luck man. Life is just better with a dog. I just got a new baby english mastiff a week ago (baby = 8 months old) She's about 60-70 lbs of crazytown. No hoops to jump through on this one, it was a local owner that could no longer care for her with their job changes. First mastiff we went through the same thing and beat out 16 other applicants, mostly because we had a decently sized fenced in yard. 

Must be that time of year.  We lost our 12 year old chocolate lab over the summer and just filled that void in the house with a german shepherd.  As some have pointed out, we did it the "selfish" way and bought from a breeder...but that's another topic.  He was expensive but mostly hoop-less.

We almost forgot how much work a puppy is, holy crap.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Must be that time of year.  We lost our 12 year old chocolate lab over the summer and just filled that void in the house with a german shepherd.  As some have pointed out, we did it the "selfish" way and bought from a breeder...but that's another topic.  He was expensive but mostly hoop-less.

We almost forgot how much work a puppy is, holy crap.   

Blue, I'm still going through that effort with a now 1 year old Dane.  Damn that dog is tough to train.

On 2/3/2018 at 5:30 PM, wdwerker said:

I have never had to jump through so many hoops to adopt a dog. I guess they are trying to weed out all the screwed up people that are out there these days. Filling out applications, home visits, references, contracts......

possible new roommates, can't stand to have an empty house.

2CB90837-45AB-4746-A0E0-73FF970C9E18-972-0000010EA2EF953C.jpeg.20dba928786b7c4abdb4fa99d0d67294.jpeg

2E8E9FDC-3752-4882-AEF3-400BFB4DF157-3134-0000021B54F5D55E.jpeg.7485004b80970d8f8ab7ffc425831dd0.jpeg

I hope you get "Sapwood". Young and trainable.

On 2/3/2018 at 8:39 PM, wdwerker said:

I recently lost my boxer to illness, she was 9. I've had boxers all my life. I started looking for a pup and there were few litters to choose from. All the ones I was interested in wanted high prices, some had waiting lists. I've had rescue boxers before but never ran into bureaucracy and paperwork.

We have a mini dachshund who is 11 years old.   She's in good health, but we have no idea how much longer she'll be around.   Small dogs do tend to live longer than larger dogs.   But my wife wants a puppy so she has a buddy.

Used to be you could just open up the newspaper classified's and find listings.   They're gone.   Craigslist doesn't allow posting of pets, and facebook frowns upon it(but people get around it by setting up groups for breeders and private message each other).   So you need to get in contact with the right people and the costs are much much higher.

She ended up finding a puppy from someone in Pennsylvania, and we're going to fly down there in March to pick her up.

It really shouldn't be so complicated.

11 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

It really shouldn't be so complicated.

I think the complication is happening for the protection of the animals.  Unfortunately it seems the easier things are sometimes, the dumber people get, they don't stop to think about the long term effects of their decision.   Make it too easy to run down and get a pet and the minute the newness wears off its the animal that suffers.