The Woodworking Shows

Mark J

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Any opinions about "The Woodworking Shows"?  There's one near by in Milwaukee next month that I was thinking of attending.

Usually a waste of time. Last one I went to in Milwaukee was a joke. I bought some stuff at the Woodpecker booth just to justify going.

1 minute ago, Llama said:

Usually a waste of time. Last one I went to in Milwaukee was a joke. I bought some stuff at the Woodpecker booth just to justify going.

I actually enjoy them - some ok demos, a chance to actually see/touch a lot of the stuff you might only see online (but still not buy), a chance to plan ahead of time to meet up with other locals.

Now....if you're looking for in-depth classes or HUGE discounts on large ticket items, then I guess yeah- they're a waste of time.  But I've enjoyed spending a few hours at them before.

1 minute ago, Jfitz said:

I actually enjoy them - some ok demos, a chance to actually see/touch a lot of the stuff you might only see online (but still not buy), a chance to plan ahead of time to meet up with other locals.

Now....if you're looking for in-depth classes or HUGE discounts on large ticket items, then I guess yeah- they're a waste of time.  But I've enjoyed spending a few hours at them before.

The Milwaukee shows aren't great. Might be worth it if you're meeting some new people there.

I don't care about "HUGE" discounts or the like... My interest was to see things I can't see normally. The selection of vendors isn't good man. LV Kreg Peachtree, and that's about it... I mean, woodcraft and Rockler were there... lol There is nothing there you can't see at a Woodcraft store.

52 minutes ago, Llama said:

My interest was to see things I can't see normally

Yeah, prob not the place for that. It's not WIA or Weekend with Wood or anything.

45 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

My take is that these shows are generally ok for a one-day visit, but not worth an overnight stay

Totally agree.  3 hours?  5 hours?  wow.  I went an hour-ish for ours and I thought that was a long way.

Peachtree has its warehouse and a store halfway between my house and my shop. Plus they honor all the show deals & coupons. However I still go every few years to see and be able to put my hands on things that interest me from ads. Then the big IWF (International Woodworking Fair) comes to Atlanta every other year. It fills the entire convention center, multiple huge halls. I used to go every time but now I skip as often as I go. But if I'm looking for a bigger machine that's where I can lay my hands on one & get info.

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

But if I'm looking for a bigger machine that's where I can lay my hands on one & get info.

Good to know.  

28 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

Yeah, prob not the place for that. It's not WIA or Weekend with Wood or anything.

Totally agree.  3 hours?  5 hours?  wow.  I went an hour-ish for ours and I thought that was a long way.

Depends on your free time divided by your level of boredom times cravings.

Unfortunately Woodworking in America isn't happening and may not again.

Fortunately I have tickets for Fine Woodworking Live.  I am looking forward to this; it's supposed to be a good show.

For some reason all the woodworking shows seem to have an aversion to coming much east of the Mississippi River.   About three years ago The Woodworking Show was going to be about 2 hours from me.  I was going to go but it got canceled about 2 months before.

I may break down and go to the AWFS show in Las Vegas next year.

In the past I have seen a separate area at the IWF show of equipment that replaced electrical components with pneumatic or belt/ shaft driven for Amish /Mennonite shops. Tablesaw with air motors, line drill machines that completed a clamp/drill/unclamp cycle automatically with no electricity at all. I was fascinated.   I think any culture can have different ways as long as they don't try to impose them on the rest of us.

30 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Wish I had known. I’d have driven the twenty minutes and bought you coffee. 

I forgot you lived near there. We went up Friday morning and came back Saturday afternoon. I got bored before we came home.

27 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

In the past I have seen a separate area at the IWF show of equipment that replaced electrical components with pneumatic or belt/ shaft driven for Amish /Mennonite shops. Tablesaw with air motors, line drill machines that completed a clamp/drill/unclamp cycle automatically with no electricity at all. I was fascinated.   I think any culture can have different ways as long as they don't try to impose them on the rest of us.

There would be a market for it there. LOTS of Amish were there.

The last few years the show hasn't been that great.  The only reason I go is to get the deal on their Bessey Revo clamps.  There were a couple other companies besides Peachtree (which really covers 85% of the show) that used to have booths there that I would buy from yearly.  Unfortunately they haven't been going the last couple years.  I probably will go one more time next year to complete my Revo Clamp collection.  Since the venue for Columbus is about 1.5 hours from me, so the cost of gas, ticket, and parking makes it harder to justify going.

My personal thanks to all who 'dis' the Woodworking Shows on the forums.  Talking them down over the years has successfully reduced attendance to the point where they don't even come to the left coast anymore.  Here we are given a cornucopia of products all under one roof brought to a reachable venue and all people can do is complain about the cost of parking or the number of vendors (btw, they don't spend to money to come to events that you don't go to) or the fact that a certain tool wasn't 50% off.  Thanks a bunch :angry:.

-- Tantrum over ;)

There's an Amish mega yard sale every April in Southern Kentucky.  It's on the first Saturday in April.  I think I'll be going this year.  My neighbor goes every year, and for the last 2 years, he's picked up a plane or two for next to no money and gave them to me.  I've refurbushed them and given them to woodworkers I know, that know very little about hand tools.

• Like 1

Just now, Immortan D said:

Get both! You won't regret the extra bronze :D.  I have the #4 set up as a smoother and #3 for thicker shavings. I love LN tools.

Oh i agree whole heatedly. Is it weird that the one thing that puts them over LV is the cherry they use instead of what ever LV uses? I have some LV tools and the bubinga or what ever they use just looks bad. I invite the hate with that statement but stand by my opinion.