Sign in to follow this  
bleedinblue

Morris Chair

10 hours ago, Chet said:

The one thing to remember with the first time spraying shellac is that because it is fine it can be easy to over spray, so practice on a large surface of cardboard or something to get the feel of the process.

I disagree. Especially if the second time is months away from the first. I’ve learned to practice everytime.

I was really nervous starting the finishing process, kept thinking I'd find I had hidden squeeze out on every other joint, dents, or I didn't sand well enough.  Most of my fears were unfounded.  There may or may not be a couple of penciled in numbers on the inside of a couple slats, I can not confirm or deny. 

Difference indeed.  I don't know how well the cell phone pictures picked it up, but there is a lot of figure that I did not realize was there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

There may or may not be a couple of penciled in numbers on the inside of a couple slats, I can not confirm or deny. 

There’s something I like about leaving a couple inconspicuous marks, whether intentional or not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The finish really brought out the beauty of your wood selection.  Nicely done Frank.

• Like 1

Looks great and Waterlox is pretty easy to touch up little dings that are bound to happen. 

I did mine the same way. So much easier and better results, at least for me. My legs are mesquite veneered over cherry core, so to avoid the glue line and exposed cherry, I really didn't have any other choice. 

Another thing I think I would have done -

I think one of the toughest things about the build was matching the curve to the top rails and fitting the top of the back leg to the curve with a chisel and saw. I think if I were going to try to produce these chairs for a profit I would center and cut 1 1/2" square mortises, deep, maybe 2" into the tops of the legs, by whatever favorite method, before I even got to fitting the arms. Once the arms were done I'd fit the whole dry fitted side assembly to the bottom of the arm, then transfer the mortise locations to the arms and cut the through mortises. Glue in a floating 1 1/2" tenon and voilá. 

If i was going to mass produce as use fake through tenons I'd nix both leg tenons counter sink a screw and glue the fake tenon over top. I'd really on the long glue joint between the arm and top rail. These chairs are way over built. I could do back flips off the arms.

Huge slowdown in progress.  My upholstery guy just now today was able to take the chair...he hopes to get it done sometime in August.  

It looks good and thanks for the preview but it doesn't count until the final pictures are from its final location in your house. :D