bradpotts

China Cabinet

Done to a fine art! I like the feet. It was a privilege to watch this build. So well done! And this is like communicating with the author of a magazine, but better. Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

That came out nice Brad.  The gray is looks better then I thought it would.  I really like the feet and the upper door hardware.  I am not a big fan of the scroll work, but it is not my cabinet so I'll just be quiet now, it is just me giving an opinion that wasn't asked for. ;)

• Like 1

The grey does look better that i thought it was going to as well. It looks expertly made as if it was something that you'd buy from a commercial furniture maker. Well done.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I like the cabinet, but I wish it wasn’t stained. What can you do? I just tell myself “don’t judge a cabinet by its stain” ha ha. I try to picture it in my mind made frame sepele.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the deal with Sepele? It seems like recently a lot of people have been over the moon about it. I don't get it. I'm not saying anything negative about the wood the ribbon stripe stuff has an appeal but lately it seems very trendy.

From a personal taste point of view, I would make the panels figured and book matched. I like the wow factor that matched figured creates...

Looks great! So what was the staining process to get that grey?

After all the samples I did. They liked the minwax classic gray.

• Like 1

What's the deal with Sepele? It seems like recently a lot of people have been over the moon about it. I don't get it. I'm not saying anything negative about the wood the ribbon stripe stuff has an appeal but lately it seems very trendy.

More than anything I like the workability of it. I also like the ribbon look. I think with the long sides figure would have looked cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradpotts said:

After all the samples I did. They liked the minwax classic gray.

Oh....okay. ;)

3 hours ago, bradpotts said:

More than anything I like the workability of it. I also like the ribbon look. I think with the long sides figure would have looked cool.

Is it much different than H. mahogany? I'm working on something small made from H. mahogany and it works ok doesn't seem to react to hand tools much different than cherry or walnut. I guess i should just go to the lumber store and see what this is all about for myself.

Sapele is better than Khaya( African Mahogany) but I'd rather use true Honduras if it's available to build something. But Sapele is spectacular as a featured panel. 

• Like 1

Been there, done that ! 

Learned to habitually check the plunge depth after I almost came through a part and into my finger. That was the scariest little vibrating tickle ever.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

That was the scariest little vibrating tickle ever.

Care to elaborate 

I literally felt the bit about to come through the back of the board and into my finger. I shut off the machine and shook for a while.

• Like 1

Look forward to seeing the next build especially the poker table that's on my list of future projects