Roubo Time!! Let’s light this candle!

MattF

39 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

It would be beautiful but soft. 

Harder than some soft maples depending on the species. The hardest soft maple, red maple, is comparable to cherry in hardness. Currently have douglas fir and i don't see a drawback to a soft bench top. Pretty sure it's going to get dinged up no matter the wood. No sense to fret over it.

3 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I know functionally it would be just fine, I just can't wrap my head around spending extra cash for the asthetics of cherry knowing it will be damaged more easily than the cheaper hard maple alternative.  All personal choice though, and I know I'll fall in love with it when you build it. 

Hard maple is more expensive than cherry comparing the last time i bought wood. Cherry in 8/4 was in the $3.80 where as hard maple is in the $5 range. So comparing to Hard Maple I'd be saving money. I'm comparing cost to soft maple.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

Holy crap...$3.80 for 8/4 cherry??  I'd have to dig out receipts, but I'm pretty confident I pay well over double that.  At that price I'd make it out if cherry too, lol. 

It might have been $3.80 for 6/4 and $4.25 ish for 8/4 but i do know it was defiantly cheap enough for me to consider it. Keep in mind the bulk discount at the yard is like 15% or something which on the rubo is easy to hit. 4/4 is $3.69 no discount.

As they say pic or it didn't happen. Just so you don't think i'm blowing smoke.

2928438138218531919.thumb.jpg.9fe45be19d3c8cdef861880a4b146633.jpg

Sorry Matt for the hijack.

26 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It might have been $3.80 for 6/4 and $4.25 ish for 8/4 but i do know it was defiantly cheap enough for me to consider it. Keep in mind the bulk discount at the yard is like 15% or something which on the rubo is easy to hit. 4/4 is $3.69 no discount.

As they say pic or it didn't happen. Just so you don't think i'm blowing smoke.

2928438138218531919.thumb.jpg.9fe45be19d3c8cdef861880a4b146633.jpg

Sorry Matt for the hijack.

No worries about hijack here. derailment doesnt really bother me.

• Thanks 1

Back bench build.....

I need a sanity check on front and rear slab widths. 

I have my boards milled and sorted for front and rear with the following final widths:

Front: 8" (nominal = 7 13/16)

Rear: 10 7/8" (nominal = 11 1/16)

If I am doing my math right, with the addition of dog hole strip and front laminate, I will be left with a gap size of 1 7/8"(nominal) that is set 3/16" further back from front face of the bench. I really don't see this as being an issue but would other opinions on the matter.  

8 minutes ago, MattF said:

Back bench build.....

I need a sanity check on front and rear slab widths. 

I have my boards milled and sorted for front and rear with the following final widths:

Front: 8" (nominal = 7 13/16)

Rear: 10 7/8" (nominal = 11 1/16)

If I am doing my math right, with the addition of dog hole strip and front laminate, I will be left with a gap size of 1 7/8"(nominal) that is set 3/16" further back from front face of the bench. I really don't see this as being an issue but would other opinions on the matter.  

I made my final width on both slabs 11", with a 2" gap. The reason was that the Bessey Revo clamps that I have wouldn't fit through a 1 7/8" gap, since they're about 1/16" bigger. As it is, it's a pretty tight squeeze to get them through if I want to clamp using the split, so I've just grabbed other bar clamps the couple of times I've done it.

Your math appears to be right, but I'd be tempted to use the rear slab as is, and make the front slab closer to the standard width. It doesn't really matter where the gap is, and I don't regret making it 1/8" bigger than the plans.

57 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I made my final width on both slabs 11", with a 2" gap. The reason was that the Bessey Revo clamps that I have wouldn't fit through a 1 7/8" gap, since they're about 1/16" bigger. As it is, it's a pretty tight squeeze to get them through if I want to clamp using the split, so I've just grabbed other bar clamps the couple of times I've done it.

Your math appears to be right, but I'd be tempted to use the rear slab as is, and make the front slab closer to the standard width. It doesn't really matter where the gap is, and I don't regret making it 1/8" bigger than the plans.

Excellent feedback! Thanks! I think I will mill 3/16" from a front slab board and bring it to nominal width. That should leave me with just over a 2" gap. I do not have any Bessey clamps...yet....but I definitely want to start picking some up here and there. 

12 minutes ago, ZombieMonkey said:

Fills up fast and as you can imagine, there will be many more. Work is looking good, time to give that front slab some love to accommodate some hardware.

I’ve got someone coming over tomorrow to help run these through the planer. He will be here around 11. So will be flattening the bottom of both sides before he arrives. Once I have them through planed flat my plan is dive right in and start lovin on that slap!

On 2/15/2018 at 10:05 PM, MattF said:

Got the rear slab glued up tonight. My back hurts! 

Final width came in at 10 7/8 on the money! 

I used the Dowelmax for alignment. First time using this tool. Very easy to use. Fit and finish very nice. Slides real nice along work piece. I will have a better opinion of it after I pull the clamps and clean up the glue.

47EBC8F0-01B7-46E2-BF7F-2CE64B467CFB.thumb.jpeg.2d402d1322b6703e43142156fefd80ca.jpeg

I didn’t really get any other pictures. Got on a roll  and just cruised right through it. 7C1945C8-2153-4294-9B50-55837C07C1BD.thumb.jpeg.5390aea9512bd5b2dca892457e6b3f03.jpeg

What’s that thing they say about clamps? That’s all I got. It’s enough, but I need more!

I plan on getting the front slab glued up tomorrow night. My mother in law is in town this weekend, and I tend to get quite a bit of extra shop time when she is here. My plan is to have a lot of the front slab work done by the end of the weekend. 

Still with the Space Dust, I see! ;-)

1 hour ago, Pondhockey said:

Still with the Space Dust, I see! ;-)

It’s one of my go to beers. I kind of switch it up depending on what’s on sale. Throughout the build you will probably see a mix of these three:

Space Dust

Fresh Squeezed

Top Cutter 

I’m an IPA fan!