Found this ball on the floor near my band saw and my SCMS:

5a81fca936a7b_2018-02-1217_35_04.thumb.jpg.1cded56e02afdcb44ba4a4713483afaf.jpg

It's obviously part of a ball bearing. I inspected my machines but seems there's no way a ball could have escaped one of the bearings.

Diameter is 5.5 mm.

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I don't know what you wear for shoes but don't discount carrying it in that way either.

That's possible.

I inspected the stool and all the casters to no avail.

Wish I could tell you.  I have found small things at times on the shop floor that I save and have no idea where they come from.

• Like 1

Seems too big for the SCMS bearings, and even for the BS, unless you have a huge one (bandsaw, that is).

Do you park in the shop now and then? The ball looks dirty, maybe it came in stuck in the tire treads?

5+ mm is a pretty big bearing ball for just about any application I can think of in a hobby ww shop. Got any super-duty drawer slides?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Stuff like this happens to me from time to time & I'm afraid to throw it out. So, many years down the road I've still got all these little things cluttering up the junk drawer & I have no idea where they came from.

I have always suspected that if you take something apart and put it back together enough times, you will have enough parts to build another one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

. Got any super-duty drawer slides?

Yes I do. I had a drawer with those slides right next to the crime scene, so I took it apart:

5a8243fd7e705_2018-02-1222_26_02.thumb.jpg.80dc9063a3cb6b34e323a2d003dfa6ef.jpg

No missing balls though. Also the balls from the slides are smaller.

Anyways there is still the possibility that the ball came from another slide I used for my band saw sled, even though I took it apart about a year ago. That drawer slide was beefier, so I guess bigger balls were in order.

1 hour ago, Larry Moore said:

How about the ball out of a detent 

All knobs seem to be working/locking fine on my saws.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Seems too big for the SCMS bearings, and even for the BS, unless you have a huge one (bandsaw, that is).

Do you park in the shop now and then? The ball looks dirty, maybe it came in stuck in the tire treads?

The SCMS is a 12" Bosch Glide. The band saw is a small one. What size do you think the bearing must be considering the size of the ball?

9 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Yes I do. I had a drawer with those slides right next to the crime scene, so I took it apart:

5a8243fd7e705_2018-02-1222_26_02.thumb.jpg.80dc9063a3cb6b34e323a2d003dfa6ef.jpg

I guess bigger balls were in order.

Aren't they always?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Immortan D said:

The SCMS is a 12" Bosch Glide. The band saw is a small one. What size do you think the bearing must be considering the size of the ball?

Judging from stuff I see at work, 5.5 mm or 7/16" balls would be found in bearings having an I.D. in excess of 4 inches. Not a hard rule, of course, just a guestimate based on what I have seen.

I'm betting that thing followed you home. Any neighborhood kids with a slingshot?

5.5 mm is .2165 inches. But still would go in a big bearing race. That's why I was thinking a ball catch , detent or some other type use . 

I hate when I either type wrong or screw up a conversion then realize it after posting. Or did 7/16 refer to something different?