Recommended Posts

Looks like not to far from the size I buy to shoot out of my slingshot.  Maybe someone is taking pot shots at your shop.  Just kidding, sort of any way.

If I had to bet, I'd bet on a detent or similar function.

FWIW, I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep worrying over it.  I sure wouldn't be taking stuff apart to figure it out.  Set it aside and enjoy your shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chet said:

Make sure to check across the street and see if your neighbor is laughing while you are trying to figure out where it came from. :lol:

This was also my first thought,   second thought who should I give a bearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pete Staehling said:

FWIW, I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep worrying over it.  I sure wouldn't be taking stuff apart to figure it out.  Set it aside and enjoy your shop

I'm always taking stuff apart LOL.

In fact I recently took apart an old printer/scanner to reclaim parts. And now I'm pretty sure that's where the ball came from... The thing had plastic, non-sealed ball bearings with steel balls, I remember that now... Unfortunately I didn't save those bearings, so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm confident my tools had nothing to do with the ball.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I'm always taking stuff apart LOL.

In fact I recently took apart an old printer/scanner to reclaim parts. And now I'm pretty sure that's where the ball came from... The thing had plastic, non-sealed ball bearings with steel balls, I remember that now... Unfortunately I didn't save those bearings, so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm confident my tools had nothing to do with the ball.

 

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tom King said:

When more show up, the answer won't be far behind.

If I find a second ball, I will seek professional help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Any neighborhood kids with a slingshot?

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a spinner in one kitchen cabinet. The center pipe has a plug that captures a “volcano” shaped spike on the cabinet floor. A ball like that is the only bearing surface as it rides in that “volcano” groove. This comment is just for those who assume there are more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a Unisaw with a pop-up splitter? 

There is a detent ball that holds the splitter in the up or down position that's about that size. If your pop-up splitter  doesn't stay up, it is missing the ball and possibly the spring behind the ball. I doubt it will come out on it's own, but if you recently removed or replaced the splitter, it could have lost the ball, and possibly the spring too.

Charley

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s his and it’s important, he’ll find out out shortly and he’ll get a new MaChine man! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Do you have a Unisaw with a pop-up splitter? 

There is a detent ball that holds the splitter in the up or down position that's about that size. If your pop-up splitter  doesn't stay up, it is missing the ball and possibly the spring behind the ball. I doubt it will come out on it's own, but if you recently removed or replaced the splitter, it could have lost the ball, and possibly the spring too.

Charley

 

No, I don't have a table saw at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If it’s his and it’s important, he’ll find out out shortly and he’ll get a new MaChine man! 

The ball ain't shiny and chrome. I guess it's not important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save it !!. Because as soon as you throw it away, you will discover what it belongs to. DAMHIKT

Charley

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CharleyL said:

Save it !!. Because as soon as you throw it away, you will discover what it belongs to. DAMHIKT

Charley

It's in the small box where I keep my countersink bits right now. I will use a sharpie on it, paint it blue just in case I lose it again... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, wdwerker said:

Probably considered well hung in the bearing world . 

If memory serves, AC/DC once had something to say about those balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Some bearings are a slot fill style bearing.  The slot fill style has a loading slot so you can add an extra ball or two so you can increase the load capacity of the bearing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now