Looks like not to far from the size I buy to shoot out of my slingshot.  Maybe someone is taking pot shots at your shop.  Just kidding, sort of any way.

If I had to bet, I'd bet on a detent or similar function.

FWIW, I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep worrying over it.  I sure wouldn't be taking stuff apart to figure it out.  Set it aside and enjoy your shop.

11 hours ago, Chet said:

Make sure to check across the street and see if your neighbor is laughing while you are trying to figure out where it came from. :lol:

This was also my first thought,   second thought who should I give a bearing.

3 hours ago, Pete Staehling said:

FWIW, I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep worrying over it.  I sure wouldn't be taking stuff apart to figure it out.  Set it aside and enjoy your shop

I'm always taking stuff apart LOL.

In fact I recently took apart an old printer/scanner to reclaim parts. And now I'm pretty sure that's where the ball came from... The thing had plastic, non-sealed ball bearings with steel balls, I remember that now... Unfortunately I didn't save those bearings, so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm confident my tools had nothing to do with the ball.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I'm always taking stuff apart LOL.

In fact I recently took apart an old printer/scanner to reclaim parts. And now I'm pretty sure that's where the ball came from... The thing had plastic, non-sealed ball bearings with steel balls, I remember that now... Unfortunately I didn't save those bearings, so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm confident my tools had nothing to do with the ball.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tom King said:

When more show up, the answer won't be far behind.

If I find a second ball, I will seek professional help.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Any neighborhood kids with a slingshot?

:lol:

I have a spinner in one kitchen cabinet. The center pipe has a plug that captures a “volcano” shaped spike on the cabinet floor. A ball like that is the only bearing surface as it rides in that “volcano” groove. This comment is just for those who assume there are more. 

Do you have a Unisaw with a pop-up splitter? 

There is a detent ball that holds the splitter in the up or down position that's about that size. If your pop-up splitter  doesn't stay up, it is missing the ball and possibly the spring behind the ball. I doubt it will come out on it's own, but if you recently removed or replaced the splitter, it could have lost the ball, and possibly the spring too.

Charley

If it’s his and it’s important, he’ll find out out shortly and he’ll get a new MaChine man! 

9 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Do you have a Unisaw with a pop-up splitter? 

There is a detent ball that holds the splitter in the up or down position that's about that size. If your pop-up splitter  doesn't stay up, it is missing the ball and possibly the spring behind the ball. I doubt it will come out on it's own, but if you recently removed or replaced the splitter, it could have lost the ball, and possibly the spring too.

Charley

No, I don't have a table saw at home.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If it’s his and it’s important, he’ll find out out shortly and he’ll get a new MaChine man! 

The ball ain't shiny and chrome. I guess it's not important.

Save it !!. Because as soon as you throw it away, you will discover what it belongs to. DAMHIKT

Charley

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CharleyL said:

Save it !!. Because as soon as you throw it away, you will discover what it belongs to. DAMHIKT

Charley

It's in the small box where I keep my countersink bits right now. I will use a sharpie on it, paint it blue just in case I lose it again... :D

On 2/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, wdwerker said:

Probably considered well hung in the bearing world . 

If memory serves, AC/DC once had something to say about those balls.

Some bearings are a slot fill style bearing.  The slot fill style has a loading slot so you can add an extra ball or two so you can increase the load capacity of the bearing.