kitchen island construction

Hey Woodworking friend,

I am planning to build a kitchen island an i have a fairly good idea but i would like to check with plan, so if anyone of you guys have plan i would appriciate.

Also is it a good practice to run electricity in the island, is there anything y should avoye.

thanks

I would definitely recommend running electricity to any island. It needs to be a GFCI breaker but if you are going to use mixers or blenders, a wok or griddle it's great to have power there. I have one in mine and my wife loves it.

Dave

I built a free standing one based on a picture from the Stickley Company catalog. It took a lot of thinking to translate it from a picture to a plan and finally a piece of furniture.

Mine is free standing so I did not run electricity to it but there is a plug in near by.

I would look at a lot of catalogs and find something I liked and draw my own plans

Domer

One of the biggest tips I would suggest is to spend a lot of time working on the space you plan to put the island to make sure it works.

We cut out a piece of cardboard the size we planned to make the island and left in on the floor for a few days to see how it fit the space. We had to make sure the refrigerator door would open with enough room and the drawers would open OK and also that there was enough room for chairs on the opposite side of the drawers.

I spent a lot of time with my wife making sure it would work properly and it added so much to our kitchen. We now don't know how we got along without it.

Building the cabinetry is pretty standard for a carcase piece. There are lots of good sources for that. The best I have found is Charles Neal's "Cases and Bases". But the planning of what you want is the real critical piece in my view.

Good luck,

Domer