Tapered sliding dovetails

Wood Basher

On my current project I will need to do some tapered sliding dovetails, and I will do this with hand tools only. Not having cut this type of joint before I decided to test on some scrap. On my first attempt I cut the male part "freehand" and it came out so poorly that I just threw it on the wood burner without even trying to cut a matching female part.

I decided I needed to create a saw guide so I made one by planing a 6:1 gradient on one edge of a piece of 2x4. I then cut my second attempt on some scrap, without making any effort to clean & square it up first. Here is how it turned out:

First the thin end of the taper. Not perfect, but better than I expected.

ThinEnd.jpg.de3bffc08736f295ff47d324bcf1be4a.jpg

Now the thick end of the taper. Not so good.

ThickEnd.thumb.jpg.f33e0fbfa32581964b9cbe2c79604516.jpg

Finally, a view from the side. This shows that the joint is not seating as well as it should. I guess I could make it seat better by clearing out the floor of the housing better, but then wouldn't the male part slide though further than I want?

SideView.thumb.jpg.aba85aaecd896f7a2577ff034daaa43f.jpg

So what can I learn from this, and what tips can anyone give to help me improve? OK, One thing I can learn is that the camera on my phone is crap, but other than that ...

As a general rule, is it better to have a gradual or pronounced taper? I think in my test the taper is too pronounced. I think a very slight taper would work just as well and be less error-prone.

I cut this joint with a saw, only using a chisel for clearing out the waste from the female part. Is this a good approach or should I use a chisel more?

Are there any techniques to scale this up to wider stock (longer sliding dovetails)? In my real project I am working with panels 300 - 400mm wide.

For my next test I will prepare the wood to be smooth, square and true rather than using something off the scrap pile with no preparation. Maybe this in itself will improve the result.

Thanks for the tips guys. Some useful information there. Derek, that must be the most thorough answer to any forum post, ever.

I have made a couple more test pieces. One was a disaster due to a stupid layout error, but the other was a big improvement. I am learning and I am close to trying it for real. Before that though my next task is to try a test on a wide board.

Derek, your point about only needing a one-sided dovetail will require less work to cut the joint. Also I suspect it will be easier to ensure the joint ends up square. I will do that on my real work, but for my tests I am sticking to double-sided dovetails to become more familiar with cutting them.