Sign in to follow this  
pkinneb

Post It Note Projects

Recommended Posts

As my coffee table build winds down I want to knock out some small projects that I have noted in various magazines but have yet to build before I start my next project, which will be a jewelry box for my wife's birthday. I still read a lot of magazines and I always keep post it notes nearby so that I can note things I either want to research or projects I want to build. Problem is they can add up quick. Anyway I knocked out a few today first some flip up stop blocks from FWW 

IMG_2800.jpg.c5682c79d14a1978bf9045c8a7a1f4e7.jpg

Next a planing stop also from FWW

IMG_2801.jpg.1139ed826feff24c54d5dd1e8c13a5e4.jpg

Plan to knock out a few more over the next week while I am putting the finish on the coffee table.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As my coffee table build winds down I want to knock out some small projects that I have noted in various magazines but have yet to build before I start my next project, which will be a jewelry box for my wife's birthday. I still read a lot of magazines and I always keep post it notes nearby so that I can note things I either want to research or projects I want to build. Problem is they can add up quick. Anyway I knocked out a few today first some flip up stop blocks from FWW 
IMG_2800.jpg.c5682c79d14a1978bf9045c8a7a1f4e7.jpg
Next a planing stop also from FWW
IMG_2801.jpg.1139ed826feff24c54d5dd1e8c13a5e4.jpg
img][img]Plan to knock out a few more over the next week while I am putting the finish on the coffee table.
Looks good, Paul. Can you give a little more detail on those flip stops? Where will you use them? And what are the holes for?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post-it note projects? Heck, I have a three-page spreadsheet of projects big and small from magazines, listing the project, magazine issue, and reason for wanting it. Sure, there are several Morris chair "recipes" on there, but when I get around to doing a chair I'll have several plans to choose from or modify as the case may be.

I still follow Marc's build-or-buy decision-making tree, because I won't be able to make all the projects on the list before heaing to the great woodshop in the sky. I like having a fun list of stuff that I can do, though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Looks good, Paul. Can you give a little more detail on those flip stops? Where will you use them? And what are the holes for?

Thanks Shane! They will be used at the table saw, the holes are only there to hang them on the side of a cabinet next to the TS.

Because it is on a hinge dust cant't get in the way of the stop

IMG_2810.jpg.ca1d2c504dd845a6ff20972d18bc8b2f.jpg

It also allows you to clean up one end of the board prior to cutting to length without moving the stop (primary reason I made them.) Also, by doing this you cannot cut it to short because if the stop isn't sitting on top of the board you know it won't be long enough. Here is a shot cleaning up one end

IMG_2811.jpg.d90b53532ec4ecd4bfe71adbe87b4384.jpg

End now cutting to length

IMG_2812.jpg.431f63a339c19a43598eb6ba69f28c62.jpg

51 minutes ago, ClassAct said:

Post-it note projects? Heck, I have a three-page spreadsheet of projects big and small from magazines, listing the project, magazine issue, and reason for wanting it. Sure, there are several Morris chair "recipes" on there, but when I get around to doing a chair I'll have several plans to choose from or modify as the case may be.

I still follow Marc's build-or-buy decision-making tree, because I won't be able to make all the projects on the list before heaing to the great woodshop in the sky. I like having a fun list of stuff that I can do, though.

I should start keeping a spreadsheet that's a good idea!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I should start keeping a spreadsheet that's a good idea!
Ah yes, I remember now. I've seen those before. Was it a Bob Van Dyke article?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Ah yes, I remember now. I've seen those before. Was it a Bob Van Dyke article?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
 

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out OneNote or Evernote if you want to keep a big list. You can include pictures as well as files/links.

I do need to go clear mine out though, maybe I'll get a slow day at work soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 10:57 AM, ClassAct said:

Post-it note projects? Heck, I have a three-page spreadsheet of projects big and small from magazines, listing the project, magazine issue, and reason for wanting it. Sure, there are several Morris chair "recipes" on there, but when I get around to doing a chair I'll have several plans to choose from or modify as the case may be.

I still follow Marc's build-or-buy decision-making tree, because I won't be able to make all the projects on the list before heaing to the great woodshop in the sky. I like having a fun list of stuff that I can do, though.

I will also be using the spreadsheet idea.  Keeping tabs on that stuff will make finding it again easier and also help justify to the wife my stash of wood working magazines!  Plus I can pull up spreadsheets at work an no one will question whether it's work related or not!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2018 at 11:48 AM, pkinneb said:

Because it is on a hinge dust cant't get in the way of the stop

Nice idea.  Do you find that there is any unwanted flex in the hinge that could create slight variations in length depending on how firmly you place the work piece against the stop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Nice idea.  Do you find that there is any unwanted flex in the hinge that could create slight variations in length depending on how firmly you place the work piece against the stop?

No but that is because I purposely used a high quality hinge, if you buy a cheap hinge you will definitely have that issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of bookmarks and post it note project. A shooting board is near the top as soon as I finish my Roubo. Recently made a pair winding sticks.96632CB4-C9F1-47E6-A63B-1BB6AFC3DC49.thumb.jpeg.145a8e3bd7e4e2d3dc0acdef08e5bf1a.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MattF said:

I have a lot of bookmarks and post it note project. A shooting board is near the top as soon as I finish my Roubo. Recently made a pair winding sticks.96632CB4-C9F1-47E6-A63B-1BB6AFC3DC49.thumb.jpeg.145a8e3bd7e4e2d3dc0acdef08e5bf1a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I've made a couple shooting boards buy mine always end up warped slightly.

Never had that issue with a shooting board but I did just have that happen to a small TS sled I made, Not sure what happened but its about to get cut up to see if I can fix it. If not I will make a new one.

Nice! I like the piece of wood they are setting on as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nice! I like the piece of wood they are setting on as well.

12/4 Walnut for my Roubo build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those winding sticks are nice looking i like the look of QS beech.

41 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Never had that issue with a shooting board but I did just have that happen to a small TS sled I made, Not sure what happened but its about to get cut up to see if I can fix it. If not I will make a new one. 

Nice! I like the piece of wood they are setting on as well.

I was using BB ply and when ever i put 2 layers together to make the board it'd warp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Those winding sticks are nice looking i like the look of QS beech.

The QS Beech does look nice. I am hoping to to find a piece left in the pile to use for the front laminate strip on my Roubo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pkinneb said:

This is a shooting board for small parts, both 90 and 45's from FWW issue 258

Just curious, Paul, why do this if you have a shooting plane and are planning on making a board for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Just curious, Paul, why do this if you have a shooting plane and are planning on making a board for that?

Primarily because I had the parts purchased prior to to buying the shooting plane and track, I will use this for smaller pieces...Maybe :) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Primarily because I had the parts purchased prior to to buying the shooting plane and track, I will use this for smaller pieces...Maybe :) 

 

Having too many tools has never been a problem ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knocked out another post it note project today. This one is a holder for my Shapton stones and Trend plate, I saw in a FWW article. I made it from some left over QSWO from the coffee table build. It has four slots I also added a small catch so they can't fall out, to release them you just push down. Since they get wet I put a coat of shellac and a couple coats of rattle can lacquer on it.

IMG_2905.jpg.1f86c70aeb7812e58dcd86b6c62bf3d9.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg.97cd172f812c796b511ff1ac3bbaa113.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg.d72bace43e486cce0d143400f1d4196d.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice case for your stones. I like the simple but effective catch. 

I would rotate the second layer of Baltic so the crisscrossing layer pattern is continuous. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this