Lifting gear and slabs to above-garage shop

s1nglemalt

One more vote for a rented lift. To be most efficient, you'll really want to plan ahead as far as tool spacing, layouts etc. so that you can get the maximum benefit of the rented lift. That will be time well spent as you start with a well planned shop.

For regular access, if you can afford the floor space, how about an attic access stair? These are commonly used to access garage loft spaces. 

image.jpeg.ff1014a1942e69b821b13ad7164cf6e8.jpeg

That will cover getting you and smaller materials and tools up and down. 

You'll still have two challenges. Getting larger materials, such as sheet goods, up there, and second, how will you get larger completed projects from the shop back down to the ground?

On 2/19/2018 at 4:09 AM, curlyoak said:

I've seen barns with the ridge of the roof sticks out several feet. Then pulleys and rope pull up heavy stuff to an upper door...

I spent a summer day when I was a teen helping my grandfather and uncle load hay up to the top of a barn like that.

It involved a pulley, a rope and a tractor.

I wouldn't call it particularly safe.   This was something unusual for my grandfather, as normally they loaded hay up in a different barn using an elevator.   But I think they had more hay than normal, and went to put it up in the old barn which was higher and the elevator wouldn't reach.

Now a days they just leave it on the ground covered in plastic.

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

...For regular access, if you can afford the floor space, how about an attic access stair? These are commonly used to access garage loft spaces. 

image.jpeg.ff1014a1942e69b821b13ad7164cf6e8.jpeg

That will cover getting you and smaller materials and tools up and down. 

You'll still have two challenges. Getting larger materials, such as sheet goods, up there, and second, how will you get larger completed projects from the shop back down to the ground?

I have a sewing area/library in a 10 x 14 room in the attic of my shop and I use a staircase like this for access it is ok and saves on room but truth be told if I was to do it again I would have a real stair case. It is kind of a pain to get up down with anything because they are so steep.

As much as I love woodworking and building things, if I had to lug all my tools and the lumber and supplies up and down with a hoist I think I would consider a new hobby. I guess I'm getting old. I guess once your tools are in place it wouldn't be that bad but even draggin my carcass up and down stairs every time I had to pee would get old. 

I should have written that I will have an external staircase coming from our lawn. Not easy to back a truck up and haul slabs from the driveway - front - side thus my request for driver way to barn door help. I could lift large slabs from a truck through the fence then up the stairs, but I simply am lazy and would prefer to have mechanical advantages. No need for any internal stairwell.