Fire Surround


MarkR
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK new here so Hi everyone, I'm having a few doubts on this fire surround I'm making for a client. They have OK'd what I've done so far, but I think the top looks a bit bulky. I can reduce it by leaving out part of the moulding. Here's with the moulding in.

DSC01697.jpg

And without...

DSC01700.jpg

Whatcha think? The Corbels are having some kind of detail put in(I haven't decided yet), that's why they look a bit bland at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm it would be difficult to change the corbels, as there are other factors to take into consideration. I will finish it with all the other detailing, and post then. It's easy to do a comparison, as the top and sub top are of course separate.

You have got me thinking the corbels are too big now :unsure: , When I get in the shop tomorrow, I will take another look to see if they can be reduced a bit. Thanks for your thoughts, I work on my own, so it's nice to bounce ideas off other people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it! The only thing I'd change is the horizontal groove between the corbel and the post. A lot of the classical style comes from architecture, so I always picture water running down the piece. The water should either drip off an edge (like the dentile molding), or flow smoothly down the piece. I don't know if that's a good rule of thumb, or if it's just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just tossing out ideas: what if you rounded over the top and bottom of the groove, and popped a bead with the same radius into the groove, so you ended up with three horizontal beads (1/2 bead, full bead, 1/2 bead). Rounding over the top edge of the horizontal groove would soften the intersection between the vertical grooves and the horizontal groove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

First off great execution! I wish we had a picture of the fireplace that it's going in front of, because the scale would depend on the size of it. I agree with the points CJC5151 and capnjack2 brought up. If the top was deeper, wider, and cantilevered over the corbels a few inches it would balance much better with the lower section. I do notice more shadow lines on the upper 1/3 of the piece since you added the dental molding detail and the grooves to the corbels. But this is being pretty picky and after finish is applied and sitting in front of a hefty fireplace I think it will look great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

OK guys all finished, there was a two week delay on the woodburner. The clients loved it as is, so I didn't change it in the end.

DSC01833.jpg

Thanks for the input, even though I went with my gut, and thanks for looking.

The gut is usually right. At least, that's been my experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share