Advanced Woodworking Section

..Kev

The goal of this section is to encourage the more advanced woodworkers a place to discuss more advanced topics, tools, and techniques.  Not that there's anything wrong with pocket screws but, this would not be the section for those discussions ;)  

• Like 1

• ..Kev pinned this topic
  • ..Kev unpinned this topic
17 minutes ago, Steve B Anderson said:

I think this is a great addition to the forum. Unfortunately all I can do here is lurk.

I’m with you Steve, I’ll be in the audience for a good while;). But definitely a good add to the forum. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I’m with you Steve, I’ll be in the audience for a good while;). But definitely a good add to the forum. 

9 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I lurked on this Forum  for a year or more before I joined so I could post. Learned a lot that way. 

I’m still learning a lot here. 

When I first joined I thought of my self and an "above average" wood worker.  Then I saw what was going on here and realized that I wasn't even close.  Now thanks to this place I think I am a pretty decent wood worker but still working toward "above average".  With the adding of the advanced section hopefully the trip will be faster.

I'm pretty sure the person who made that chart is at the beginning of the learning curve and thus a bit overconfident in their spelling skills. :) Most research papers don't incorporate slang. If there's one thing I've learned on the internet, if you're going to take the time to make fun of a group of people, you better be sure to use correct spelling and grammar. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like this new topic. I do not use pocket screws. In hidden areas I will use pin nails and glue. If I add for a sliding dovetail that never will be seen then my bid is not competitive. If building cabinets for a garage pocket screws may be a good solution. Unless the garage houses Rolls Royce and other exotic cars. Then no pocket screws. If this is advanced non professional and the clock is not an issue, then never pocket screws. Not my website but my 2 cents. And regardless of my thoughts I will follow the rules.

1 hour ago, -MattK- said:

now I'm no expert, but shouldn't that be "know nothing" at the zero of the x-axis?

That's not the actual chart lol... Just something that someone made for the internet, and shame on me for not spell checking a chart someone else made :) 

This is an abstract from the research if you want to read instead of looking at a pretty bad image representing the work. 

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of the participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)

In short, the people that know the least, fervently claim to be an expert. Even when presented with proof of their incompetence. Whereas those that are perceived as experts don't claim to know as much.

At least that's always been my understanding of it.

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

The horizontal axis is knowledge.   "No" nothing is correct.

edited to add:  Although not grammatically correct,  grammatically fitting, as in:  "ain't got no nothing" :P.

My apologies.   I didn't consider that anyone would take that post as anything but a joke.   I'll try to do a better job using smilies, but I've never used them much.

"No nothing" is absolutely a lower starting point than either "know nothing", or "not anything"  :D.   Around here, people who talk like that don't consider it slang.  They believe they're speaking English, no joke.  

2 hours ago, Catco said:

In short, the people that know the least, fervently claim to be an expert. Even when presented with proof of their incompetence. Whereas those that are perceived as experts don't claim to know as much.

At least that's always been my understanding of it.

I thought we were supposed to stay out of politics here  :D.

• 6 months later...

Somehow I've managed to not wander over to this section.  I concur with wdwerker and thank him personally for some things he's posted that made me go . . . "hey, look what he's doing!".  We advance by learning, not by arriving.  Man, don't I wax philosophical in the morning. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 64 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    R Parekh
    Newest Member
    R Parekh