Advanced Woodworking Section

..Kev

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think the topic was intended for discussion on more technically advanced topics, not an area for woodworkers that are more advanced. It's not meant to leave any one out or announce an arrival at a skill set.

Correct and very well stated!

My friends that work at NASA say that their definition of an expert is:    Someone who has done something once before.    Therefore, I can claim to not be an expert in much that I do these days, because the majority of the time, I'm doing something that I've never done before.  I don't claim to know how to do anything, but people keep paying me to figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom, that rings so true to me.  I've been in IT for 25 years, and I did on-site service for business customers for 20 of those years.   More often than not, I was called to solve a problem with systems or software that I had never seen before and had to figure it out.  Someone once asked me how I do it and I replied, "I'm good at searching the web".

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2018 at 6:09 AM, -MattK- said:

now I'm no expert, but shouldn't that be "know nothing" at the zero of the x-axis?

Somehow, "no nothing" seems quite apropos at that particular origin. it's a zen state perhaps. the place of enlightenment. it requires a complete deconstruction of self to reach the point of no nothing. LOL...

• 3 weeks later...

So OK I've been building this bed frame. There are 24 spindles, and the top of the spindle has a double tenon, the larger of which is tapered. It's taken a lot of experimentation to get those to fit right, lots of trial and error handwork. Anyone else tackle this kind of thing with more luck? I can post pics if needed. Here's the mortise...

333B2D0C-A4D7-4666-AE6C-996336685BAC.jpeg

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JustAnotherGuy
    Newest Member
    JustAnotherGuy