Price Increase

thewoodwhisperer

In all fairness, at least they're upfront enough to tell you that a price increase is coming.  All to many times I've gone to make a purchase only to find an unexpected price increase.  So, not sure it's all that big of a deal really.  I'd rather companies be up front with me.

I agree with Kev. I have two major vendors, one, you can count on annually for a price increase, the other will announce it at least 60 days prior to. And we inturn, pass this along to our customers. Whether you drive a Craftsman or a Festool, seldom do you see a decrease in price. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Not sure how much more Festool there will be in my future.

How much more could there be?  Between your shop and work trailer you look like a Festool show room now.

I think I will be falling for their tactic though.  I think I will fall on my sword a purchase a domino in the next day or two.  I like cutting a fitting mortise and tenons but the process is starting to create a real back up in my list of projects.

• Like 1

I have a decent stack of systainers, I don't think there will be more in the future, but the thing that bothers me about the increase in prices is the lack of innovation lately.  If they were coming out with game changing tools like the domino, I could understand.  Rebadging Protool or increasing prices where competitors are closing the gap on products that are similar rubs me wrong.

I'm feeling pretty happy about not jumping into the festool system full-boar.  Hard to complain about the prices of the unique stuff like the domino, though. Still worth the cost after the increase IMO.  Most other stuff was too much $$$ even before the increase for me.

The increases have been in the 5% range this year and last, obviously a bit higher than an inflation match...their product marketing people obviously think the market will bear the higher prices, so I don't see this stopping anytime soon.  

I agree with all of Erics points. I remember when all this was going on last year on the FOG and in general, people were pretty annoyed with Festool. 

The other issue with Festool is the fact that they have never admitted that there is a problem with the Kapex motor. If you do a search on the FOG you can find (probably a hundred or more) cases of people that had the motor blow on their Kapex. There are threads hundreds of comments long with people pleading with Festool to atleast acknowledge the fact and maybe just offer an extended warranty on the motor alone. The response from Festool is that there is no issue. If there was no issue and they offered an extended warranty on the motor than what would it harm them? 

Im just kinda fed up of their very typical German arrogance. I feel that the price increases are kinda saying, our tools are so good that you will pay for them no matter what price we make them, so shut up and keep buying. If they cared even the slightest bit about their clients and put the prices up each year, i might feel differently and keep on buying regardless of price. They have made it clear, time and again that they dont listen to their clients and will do as they please. 

Anyone see the new little 12volt Bosch planer? I want one.......

Maybe it's a good thing instead of having to design and make a new model that could have it's own problems and issues they just increase their prices. Also when they do make a new model they don't really charge more for it. The old ETS EQ sanders were not significantly cheaper than the new ETS REQ sanders. (did i get that model right?)

At the end of the day it's their business. If i don't like it i don't buy it. If i like it I buy it. It is too bad that it's difficult to get feedback to product designers, but that's not a festool only thing, try leaving feedback to any big company.

1 hour ago, jplemons said:

I hate it and agree completely with Eric. The main issue is that the price goes up but the product is exactly the same with no refinements. Yes, Festool makes some great products, but they can still be improved upon.

A lot of companies increase the prices on their products with out changing a thing, they just don't advertise it.  They don't blanket increase all of the products. I don't keep up on this but i imagine that the increase is close to inline with inflation. CT 26 for example has gone up 3% annually over 8 years. DF500 Q set over same time frame is 2% annually. Germany's inflation hasn't been even but they are sitting close to that 2% annually.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:27 AM, Chestnut said:

A lot of companies increase the prices on their products with out changing a thing, they just don't advertise it.  They don't blanket increase all of the products. I don't keep up on this but i imagine that the increase is close to inline with inflation. CT 26 for example has gone up 3% annually over 8 years. DF500 Q set over same time frame is 2% annually. Germany's inflation hasn't been even but they are sitting close to that 2% annually.

Just because a lot of companies do it doesn’t mean I have to like it. Plus, in manufacturing the longer a product is produced the lower its cost to produce becomes, up to a point. And when the Euro tanked against the dollar, did the price go down? Nope. Add in the no sales policy and strict price management with retailers, and it all sucks for the consumer. 

• Like 1

I watched Erics video and it reminded me of a child that didn't get the color of crayon he wanted.

Basic summary of his whining. "I own all the festool stuff, look at my 6 MFTs in the background with 3K+ worth of FT tracks. They upset me, so I'm buying Bosch now, but I'm keeping some of the FT stuff because it's better, but... it could be even better..."

Get real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually agree with him on some of the points but comparing Bosch to Festool is a stretch at best! I have several Bosch Colt routers and they are great but I was not impressed with their big router so much so that I returned it and forked over $900 for the OF2200...is it worth it probably not but it works great :) 

Agreed.... I was being a little bit facetious.. I can't help it. 

Some of the Bosch stuff is fine. But once you get into the system, it's moot. The only think I agree with him on is the battery thing. But, you don't see him using Ryobi either. 

I really had to laugh at all of it because Festool just came out with some pretty cool new things. (and I know of some others they are working on, shhhh....)

Anyway, his video just came across as pathetic. If you're against them, then sell all of it. If not, keep your hole shut.

• Like 1

Meh... It was a bit over the top, but it's just a pendulum swing after his previous love affair with everything festool. He'll find equilibrium eventually, he's just being human. Not sure why he's being so human on camera though ;)

I looked at the knock down hardware for the Domino 500... It looks ok, not sure what I'd need it for yet though. What else do they have coming out that is "cool"? Drop us some knowledge bombs...

9 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Drop us some knowledge bombs...

The bluetooth hose is cool :) It's like magic!! :o Especially for cleaning up a mess in a clients home. Walking over to the CT to turn the thing to manual, sucking up some crap, then walking back over to turn it off sucks... Wastes more time than you'd think.

The new smooth hose is actually a great idea, and proof they listen to their customers. Same with the knockdown 500 hardware. People wanted it, so they made it. So many people wanted that functionality from their 500 that an entire company exists because of it. Same thing with the freedom units on the tools. Customer response.

10 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

he's just being human

I think he is being passionate and feels let down by something he believed in. It happens ;) 

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e