Restoration Tips

Llama

More expensive than vinegar, but safer if you want to let it soak a long time without checking on it, is Evaporust.  You can save and reuse it by running it through a coffee filter.  Eventually it stops working and is black with what I assume is chelated iron. 

When repairing saw handles, cherry is a good match for apple.  When repairing plane totes, East Indian Rosewood matches the old Brazilian stuff pretty well.  Use the rods to clamp the pieces together.  Not sure how hard it is to get East Indian now, though?

• Like 2

Enough cannot be said about not exceeding a few hours with acid like vinegar. Cast will take on a dull gray that seems to be alloy stripping if you get past 12 hours. It really does not take more than the 4 to 5 mentioned. Don’t soak it overnight like in Evaporust. 

On 2/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, Gilgaron said:

More expensive than vinegar, but safer if you want to let it soak a long time without checking on it, is Evaporust.  You can save and reuse it by running it through a coffee filter.  Eventually it stops working and is black with what I assume is chelated iron. 

When repairing saw handles, cherry is a good match for apple.  When repairing plane totes, East Indian Rosewood matches the old Brazilian stuff pretty well.  Use the rods to clamp the pieces together.  Not sure how hard it is to get East Indian now, though?

I will second Evaporust. I have used it on roughly 10 old tools that handed down to me from my dad. Some were my great grandfathers and grandfathers ranging from a spokeshave to a no8. Stuff works great. 

10 hours ago, Jfitz said:

This is a good low cost solution for cast iron, but be careful because it's not a good option for aluminum.

I've never done any restoration of aluminum, but good to know.

I've removed rust primarily from old Stanley plane bodies and blades, and not had issues with excessive removal, despite soaking overnight. In my experience, I still have to do some sanding or scrubbing, the vinegar + salt solution just helps get things loosened up.

I find it most effective to scrub intermittently, every few hours  while it is soaking, to continuously expose the next underlying layer of rust. 

54 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

A friend wanted help in restoring an old Swedish plane that belonged to his father. Oddly the lever cap was made of aluminum. Here's the thing after restoration:

I do know Stanley made some aluminum planes along the way, just haven't encountered any yet... and to be clear I'm not restoring planes on a daily basis or anything, I've probably done about 5 or 6 now. I'm also only concerned with getting them functional, not pristine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Dang it i blame you guys for wasting my last hour searching ebay for a #4 and a #3. Found a nice #4 but couldn't pull the trigger. Found a couple nice #3s and set reminders to check them when they have 30 min left.

Haha yea I find myself doing that a lot. I love my #3 it's a lil small for my hands to use all the time as a smoother but I set it up super tight mouthed. An use it primarily for end grain. Hell I even shoot with it most of the time. 

21 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Haha yea I find myself doing that a lot. I love my #3 it's a lil small for my hands to use all the time as a smoother but I set it up super tight mouthed. An use it primarily for end grain. Hell I even shoot with it most of the time. 

I'd love to get a #5, #4, and #3 all in the same type as the #7 i have but i have a feeling that'd take a while and cost quite a bit. Luckily the type 11s are really easy to spot.

37 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'd love to get a #5, #4, and #3 all in the same type as the #7 i have but i have a feeling that'd take a while and cost quite a bit. Luckily the type 11s are really easy to spot.

Just curious....why type 11?  

3 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

Ah...I thought maybe there was a functional difference but it sounds like because that's what you have :)

I have a post war #4 can't remember the type but it's corrugated and i fudging HATE the corrugated bottoms. It was in great shape and snagged it for $30 after shipping. I didn't know I'd detest the corrugated bottom until after i used it.

My #5 is a type 15 but the sole isn't square to the sides and if i'm going to replace to all the same type why not right?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

Ok, I'll bite, what's the difference between a type 11 and a type 12 ?  I have several old planes but they mostly just sit on a shelf, well they did for years until I moved the shop. Now they are in a box.

Adjustment knob is larger on the 12s and something else but despite being a pedant i don't really care that much.

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

I have a Stanley 3,4,5 an all different types.  But my Miller falls #9 i like the adjustment an feel of it better it's a 50's model from what I can tell. I'm looking for a #71 router plane with all three blades

They're on ebay, you just have to look.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian