Help with sliding dovetail

Art

Hello all, I'm making a small cabinet for my daughter and am planning on using some sliding dovetails.  I've never done them before, so I'm running some test pieces first so that I can figure it out.  I set the depth for the female side, and then nibbled away on the male end to get a decent fit.  It's not perfect, but my issue isn't the side to side fit - that is something I can finesse.  My problem is the depth.  As you can see, there is a sizeable gap at the bottom of the joint.  Am I missing something obvious?  I figured that as long as I kept the bit at the same height, it would work.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

IMG_4340.thumb.JPG.aa38e59fc3505ffb4c7358f24c72da9f.JPG

It was on a router table, and as far as I can tell it's fairly rigid.  It's a Kreg table.  The female end was in poplar that is flat and straight, but the other piece is some scrap pine that may be a bit wavy.

Thinking about it later, I figure that I can just adjust the bit a little higher to compensate.  I'll run a few more test pieces.

9 minutes ago, Art said:

but the other piece is some scrap pine that may be a bit wavy.

i always practice with the wood I'm going to use, wavy pine will not get you good results, also be sure on your test pieces that they are not too tight, when you get close use whatever you are going to use (if anything) on the slides, wax, Spipit or whatever and test for fit. good luck and be sure to post some pictures.