Robotic carpenters

Jfitz

The video only showed robots using a chop saw and a Roomba cutting what looked like foam. Then a person is seen putting in dowels. No video of a robot making mortises or drilling dowels. I can't help but feel that is the more significant work. Still I am not surprised. With cnc machines taking on the tasks they do it's only a matter of time before robots are incorporated into more parts of the craft. I for one wouldn't mind a robot taking over the milling operation. Etc

3 hours ago, Jfitz said:

Just saw it.

It's like Ikea in your garage. But with out the meatballs.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/diy/its-dangerous-when-you-build-things-you-klutz-but-mits-robots-will-save-you

And at this point just as meaningless.

11 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

As impressive as that is for some people to design and program that from scratch and all, I think the boys over at the IKEA manufacturing plant makes this little invention look "cute" in comparison.

The full blown automation/robots that are already in use overshadow anything in that article.

I was thinking just this.

1 hour ago, minorhero said:

The video only showed robots using a chop saw and a Roomba cutting what looked like foam. Then a person is seen putting in dowels. No video of a robot making mortises or drilling dowels. I can't help but feel that is the more significant work. Still I am not surprised. With cnc machines taking on the tasks they do it's only a matter of time before robots are incorporated into more parts of the craft. I for one wouldn't mind a robot taking over the milling operation. Etc

They already have robots doing this and you can buy robot surfaced S4S lumber at the box stores. We don't because it's expensive.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Then they will probably form unions and demand wages and benefits .... there will be robot protests for Robot lives matter and the right to robot marriage.

In California the joiners union will demand their own welfare check for those unemployed because of these robots.

Like CA doesn't have enough problems. :-)