General bandsaw questions

I just bought a 14" jet bandsaw. Attached is a picture of my first ever resaw. It was a test to see how bad the blade wandered and keep in mind that the blade was included in the purchase, so it's probably not the best quality. That said, is it normal to get a little smoke while resawing? The boards width is 3 1/2. Also keep in mind that there currently is no dust collection (working on this) so no air is being drawn across the cutting surface. When I got done, i tapped the blade and notice it was cool to the touch. The wood itself had no burning marks. The wood was pretty steady in thickness at .069 or just a little over 1/16th.

20180303_183640.jpg

Looks good to me! If you are new to resawing I would suggest a Woodslicer blade from highland Woodworking. They are about $30 bucks and come with great instructions for setting up your saw. If you decide to do a lot you may want to consider a carbide tooth blade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's true k Cooper. 

Though I am happy with the test results, I know that this is only pine and just a test. I did get some new blades recently (timberwolf 1/2" and 3/4") but I will definitely look at the woodslicer blades. I don't mind spending the cash if the purchase is worth my while. Thanks all.

19 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Not sure about the Jet 14” as I have the Grizz, but is a 3/4” recommended for the Jet? Do you have a riser block? A 1/2”, 3 tpi works great for me. 

No riser block here. I haven't read anything about a suggested blade but I will look over the manual again and see. It came with a 1/2" blade.