Restoring Stanley #7.... how far to go?

Jfitz

I recently bought a Stanley #7 (type 9)  ...  I don't do a 'lot' of hand tool work but I find myself doing more and more.  I have a smoother (WoodRiver), a #5 (old Stanley),  a Veritas plow plane, and a LN router plane - and now this #7.  I soaked the parts in a rust remover ("Metal Rescue") which is a lot like Evaporust ('s a chelating agent, not an acid).  In a nutshell - I'm impressed.  It made quick work of the rust on the parts.  I'm a little taken aback by some of the japanning that was removed as well but I'm guessing it was already loose and maybe had some rust underneath. There's still quite a bit left - I'd estimate 90%.

The knob and tote are completely intact - no chips or missing pieces.  Worn finish in all the right places.  They're nice.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to hone some of the pieces (frog mating pieces, blade, plane sides and body) but.... then what?  I'm debating on how far to go with it.  I'm tending towards leaving it "as is" and feel the joy of using a 100+ year old tool every time I grab it.  Maybe put on a modern blade/chipbreaker.   But - there is the temptation ..... of sanding down/totally refinishing the wood parts.  Of removing all the japanning and applying a new coat of paint.  Of going beyond "refreshing" and doing a total remanufacturing.

Any thoughts?  How far do you go with restoring old planes when their cleaned-up versions are already better than pretty good?

My first one I went overboard on.  Now I just bring them to a level where they can be used and perform well.  I go over the mating surfaces and make sure they are flat and that everything fits and works well.  I do a bit of sole flattening, but I am not all freaked out by a few thousandths, the wood will move more than that seasonally anyway.  I remove any rust of course and keep them wiped down with furniture wax cut a bit with 3 in 1 oil to make a soft wax that helps as a rust preventative.

• Like 1

Good advice Llama and Jim  Thanks!  Knowing me, I'd like very much the knowledge that the "innards" (frog/mating surface/wood/bolts/etc) were all "touch up" and refined, even if the show faces were left 'as is'.  That's sort of where I'm leaning.  I'll leave the show pieces to my LN and LV planes (which I really like and intend to grow) even as I grow my vintage tools.

21 hours ago, Jfitz said:

OMG - those are gorgeous!! are those the original knob/tote or did you make new ones?

On this one its original. I usually go original unless one or both of the pieces are broken.

When I restore I never bother trying to preserve the original japanning. I use electrolysis to remove EVERYTHING. Then from that clean point I tape it up and apply paint. I find glossy engine paint to be a good choice and I lay down a REALLY thick coat. Way thicker then you are "supposed" to. This gives the closest finish to the original japanning I have found. I give it 2 days to dry then remove the tape. I usually need to use a razor a bit to clean up the edges. The paint tends to stick in patches to the tape and want to come off. 

Spray lacquer is what I use for the wood pieces after sanding off any original finish. 

A wire wheel on a bench grinder cleans up the hardware pieces. 

• Like 2

Looks great. I am a big fan of cleaning them up making the steel look nice but not going as far as repainting them.

I have a #3 on it's way to my house right now. I'm excited. Also i'm surprised at how dang expensive #4s have gotten. the #3 i got was $65 and every #4 is $75+

Yea they have hit the roof I just lost  a bid a #7 that went for 160$ in rusty shape. My max was like $80. To win any of these I've learn you just have to stay constantly with it an sooner or later a good one will get over looked for a decent price. I may have a eBay proble:o

19 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Yea those always lure me in. I got my MF #9 that way. Its a good plane I just can't get it to cut like my Stanley #4 maybe it's just me just ain't the same to bad the price difference is so much. 

Now i'm lurking for a #2 idk why but i want one.

10 hours ago, Tmize said:

Yea they have hit the roof I just lost  a bid a #7 that went for 160$ in rusty shape

Say wha??  Wow.  I'm sorta kicking myself for not picking up my planes close twin - the place had 2 #7's for sale.  The other one was I think in a little better overall shape but some of the screws/bolts were all messed up - someone went at them with a wrong sized screwdriver.  Still, I am thinking for $85 I should have picked it up - or made him an offer for a discount for getting both.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e