Why I show my work..

mat60

16 hours ago, mat60 said:

Just not very proud of what I half to do to try to make a living.   I'm working on two corner cabinets and a sink cabinet.  Nothing that great to show but I have always enjoyed seeing what you guys do.   I just wanted to explain why you never see my stuff and will take this thread down soon..

You can't count high enough the times that I have to disassemble & reassemble to make things work.

And for me it's mostly hobby, too. Not planning on making a living at it.

My kitchen cabinet ventures were early in this craft hobby and they're "ok" but that's about it.

We all like to see the really nice stuff. It's impressive. Maybe someday I'll be able to call a thing "nice" but until then, just enjoy.

• Like 1

Dude! That's great! Those look awesome! I'm in the process of making some cabinets for a friend of mine's basement and they are nowhere near your build quality. Mine turned out ok so far and I have to redo the two end uprights because I set my fence to the wrong measurement for the dados and the shelves don't slide in.... At all. But your work looks great!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tommy Hall said:

I always make my work so I can assemble and  reassemble it before a even look at the glue!!

I thought I did too, but apparently I was too high by .125." Normally I cut all my dados at once, when I have the fence set right and just go to town on it. Unfortunately I was working in their basement, with some of their tools, while having to contend with a giant husky and a chocolate lab barking and howling at me from upstairs everytime I started a tool... And since I'm doing this on the side in the evenings, I can't work too late because their neighbors and kind of buttheads.

Ah well, live and learn!

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on this job need to get it done.  I'm far from a expert and this is the first time I have used this kind of hardware and it was a pain in the but for me.  I'm glad I made a extra  door also.  You see I have the side of this cabinet covered up because I kreg the face frame on. 100_0568.thumb.JPG.34ab75a4902ca327f169fee43ff1dcaa.JPG100_0566.thumb.JPG.d3aea22e90d7124897f8f561834f4ebd.JPG 

• Like 1

Were you aware that someone left their vehicle in your shop? :D

I dislike those inside corner cabinets but there really aren't a lot of good options for them. I tried out the 45 degree corner cabinet and it works but it creates it's own issues. Most notable the storage space is bigger than the door allows.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Most notable the storage space is bigger than the door allows.

When I built my kitchen cabinets years back we had a three door cabinet with the door in the middle that was at 45 to the others.  I built the inside so it was still 90 degrees to the door otherwise like you said storage space is bigger then the door and because of that useless.

• Like 1

I agree @Chestnut on the dislike of corner cabinets. What will end up in them is stuff they will never use and forget they have. I tried to tell them but you no how that goes. As for the truck, I told that jerk to get it out of the shop because tomorrow because I need to do the finish.     I  don't think I have ever seen a kitchen cabinet like you speak of @Chet  but I bet its a lot better. I'm  not sure how that would work with 24in deep by 36in wide corner cabinet. I guess I'm not understanding what you did. Do you have a picture of what you did Chet?    Glad to say these are the last of 12 cabinets total besides the island I will start on next week. 

• Like 1

Where I work, most these cabinets have Lazy Suzzan's in them, there are other organizers that can be fitted, not easily.  Modern Euro hardware can be hard to adjust, but you can buy a hole cutter in MM to make a plug and start over, not that we have done that "HA".  Your next test could be an inset door corner cabinet, they absolutely have to be made square, we use raised floor that are absolutely flat and level to build any cabinet.  There two large floors at different heights, will not fit in my 12x16 shop.  Your cabinets look great can't wait to see the island!  Please consider the challenge, next time will be easier.  Think of the people in a phone center!!

GO MAT!

The first one always seems hard and I'm glad they were not inset doors this time and if they were I may have spent all day messing with them. I asked the customer about a Lazy Sue but they said no to that and I also wanted to do solid panel doors but they didn't want any added cost.  I  have done some beaded inset and really like the look of them but they do take more time. Thanks

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, Tom King said:

My pipe clamps are all just stacked in corners.  I'm glad to see someone else who still uses pipe clamps.

You no something @Tom King.     I really don't mind the using pipe clamps.   I also was thinking I was the only one here that still used them.

I have several lengths of 20' black iron pipe, that I can connect with couplings if I need REALLY LONG ones.  I"ve pulled floor joist tenons back home in their mortises in really old houses with them.  I've never used a parallel clamp that can come close to the power you can get out of a pipe clamp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mat60 said:

A bit off topic but a short time ago I had to quit smoking because of feeling really bad.  Been doing much better until I started spraying this today.  Anyway,  after this job is done I need to find a new product to that will dry fast and not make feel like crap every time I use it.   I no the cost will be allot more than the $25 a gallon I'm paying.   Its funny that things have a way of catching up to you and I never worried about it.     I was wondering what some of you spray and the cost of it.   Thanks

100_0569.JPG

Don't you wear a respirator?

51 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Don't you wear a respirator?

OH ya Steve.. May not  help that I need to stick my head inside that darn corner cabinet and you end up getting blasted in the face with overspray. This Lacquer is bad stuff but some must be getting past my mask.. Need to try water base  maybe and a better respirator.  Doesn't help I cant run the large fan much because its cold. 

12 minutes ago, mat60 said:

OH ya Steve.. May not  help that I need to stick my head inside that darn corner cabinet and you end up getting blasted in the face with overspray. This Lacquer is bad stuff but some must be getting past my mask.. Need to try water base  maybe and a better respirator.  Doesn't help I cant run the large fan much because its cold. 

Are you just running the pink dust filters or the vapor cartridges? There are a few different Vapor cartridges on the market i use the ones that come with the paint mask and i think it's this model.  I typically put the filters in a zip lock bag after i'm done wearing them to extend their useful life. When you have the vapor cartridges on you shouldn't be able to smell a thing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Are you just running the pink dust filters or the vapor cartridges? There are a few different Vapor cartridges on the market i use the ones that come with the paint mask and i think it's this model.  I typically put the filters in a zip lock bag after i'm done wearing them to extend their useful life. When you have the vapor cartridges on you shouldn't be able to smell a thing.

I do use the vapor cartridges but your right ,,I have been using them to extend there useful life myself. My filters were not very old and stored in a bag  but I could smell the finish today. I have used them only one time on this job but sprayed 9 cabs and a bunch of doors and draws before today.. I'm going to by extra filters and for sure change them way more often. Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

ML Campbell Agualente is a waterbourne pre cat finish. The sealer sands beautifully. It comes in clear and a white tintable finish. Costs a bit more but cleans up with water so no solvent costs. Been using it for years. 

Thanks Steve..  What would be the average drying time..

Depends on temperature & humidity. 30-45 minutes in dry & warm weather. Maybe 2 hours if it's chilly and humid. I think it needs to be at least 55 to spray.  Turbine HVLP warms the air which helps. Thin coats when it's cold dry best, just use a full wet coat for the final pass so it flows out and gives you a nice sheen.  Obviously store it well above freezing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I thought the bag was just to keep it from the elements and didn’t know it extended the life. I need to start doing better. Thanks