Why I show my work..

mat60

Those cabinets look sturdy as frig! Are you building them to withstand a nuclear bomb? Makes me think that i severely under built the cabinets for the house i sold. Good thing i sold it :D.

So with the pocket screw construction do you put glue on the edge of the ply or are the screws the only thing holding the cabinet together? I have never used a pocket screw ever so i know nothing about them other than that they are swear words in some circles and some people get bent out of shape when other insult them.

The sides have a rabbit front and rear and the face frame and rear have dados that get glued together. I did pocket screw and glue the two dividers inside cabinet and they are also screwed from the bottom. There is no way they will go anywhere. LOL  Screws inside  of cabinets is something I don't often need to do  on most cabinets but because it will have doors and draws and be on the floor it will be fine on this one. Also most cabinets you can nail and screw from the back but not this one.   I do sometimes overkill stuff but I don't want to worry about it after it is gone. I make allot of glue blocks at a time and they go in quick and I'm glad of that.:)

Spent a little time today on shelves.   I just use iron on edge banding and a small router to trim off excess.   The router bit is a flush trim with a slight angle on it.  Cant remember if its 2 or 5 degree.   I was glad to get the cabinet stained today also.

100_0601.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I have never used the tape due to fear of how well it would hold up over time what is your experience with longevity on it?

The problem comes from not getting the edge banding hot enough when applied.  I guess like anything else its possible to have banding of poor quality but I have never had a problem with the stuff from my hardwood / plywood dealers .  I have been using edge banding  for years along with a friend who helped me get started and we don't ever have any callbacks for it.   Its something that's used allot in cabinet shops all over. 

• Like 1

Edgeband has to be hot enough, but not excessively hot( veneer can scorch) . Pressure needs to be applied but too much pressure can squeeze the melted glue out the sides ( which is a b...h to clean up) . It's not that hard to do but it does take some practice. Shelf edges and in semi protected locations edgeband does fine. An exposed corner can get chipped , dented or torn pretty easily. 

Practice on scrap! The edgeband is around $25-$30 for a 250 ft roll if I remember right. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mat60 said:

The problem comes from not getting the edge banding hot enough when applied.  I guess like anything else its possible to have banding of poor quality but I have never had a problem with the stuff from my hardwood / plywood dealers .  I have been using edge banding  for years along with a friend who helped me get started and we don't ever have any callbacks for it.   Its something that's used allot in cabinet shops all over. 

Good to know! Thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Good to know! Thanks

I was thinking a bit more on this morning and I don't mine saying and I think Steve- @wdwerker does his plywood edge using a strip of wood and that' makes for a nicer job..  Steve how you go about doing this and how much more time does it take over iron on banding.  I no I talk about having to do things quick allot but its not by choice.

Hey Drew, a household iron works just fine with iron on edgebanding.

When I use a solid wood thin strip on an edge I glue, place the strip, then use 2 or 3 micropins to keep it in place while I clamp them face to face with parallel clamps. I've got the MFK 700 trim router with an edge trimming base.

D5E5FEDF-3969-4508-B2BE-C1CE526959BA-1346-000001F248843896.thumb.jpeg.c32d74b5d8da7c0d6e06aaf37386fbf4.jpeg

it works great but it's ungodly expensive. I got it for trimming laminate on a commercial job & it paid for itself.  A regular trim router works but practice on scrap. Cause if you wobble it can eat into the plywood. Just sanding it flush risks sanding thru the veneer. 

Shelves behind doors or in low risk areas get iron on if I've got a roll of the right wood. High end jobs get solid wood thin strips.

• Like 1

Where I work we use a 1/4" edging because of things catching and damaging.  We apply it on the full length of the plywood sheet stock before it's cut up for shelving and cabinet boxes if there is no face frames to cover the edge of the plywood.  It has to add a bunch of time but the houses are high end and the cabinetry is a small part of the overall construction cost, still six figure kitchens.  I have used band molding but was never happy with the outcome, takes practice.

Tommy Hall

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mat60 said:

That iron I use belonged to the wife. :)

Nice my girl friend doesn't own one either. She works from home and never has to dress up and I'm just a lazy slob. By the time my fancy cloths need to be ironed they should be cleaned and off to the dry cleaner they go.

@wdwerker I mean home cut edge banding. I've never bought the commercial stuff because i don't have an iron. Foureyes on youtube has a really good setup with a trim router to flush edge banding can't remember what video i saw it in though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...