Why I show my work..

mat60

Finally remembered to take pictures of the digital height gauge. 

IMG_2953.thumb.JPG.539daccecff3e5b1e1a76af1ab782514.JPG 

SuperMax sends the Wixley gauge with nice heavy brackets and has the frame pre drilled & tapped for the screws. Installation instructions kinda suck, but I figured it out.  There is a black bracket that bolts to the drum/motor height adjustment plate. The silver bracket screws to the grey cast iron frame. 

IMG_2954.thumb.JPG.e47a1ffa52f76153e6bb750ae154d07a.JPG

The scale reads in decimal inches, fractional inches and MM. You use a piece of freshly sanded wood to " zero out " the scale . Once you get it right the display remembers the setting but it takes a few seconds to come up after you flip through the screens. Pretty quick to re zero the display if a battery dies. 

It works great when you need a few more pieces thicknessed  to match the rest of the parts during a project.

Thanks for the pic Steve. Very similiar to the one I bought for my 735 and couldn’t get it to work and gave away the someone on here. I think the problem was owner/operator as it had more than one button;)

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Feels good to be back in the shop more and have a thread to post some things I have going on for anyone that maybe interested. Working on jobs and a  pellet stove  today. 

Therapy!

• Like 1

Nothing to exciting  but finally  have my parts ready for the drum sander tomorrow.   Been dragging my feet.   Need to find a place to buy paper for my sander. I have been using Jet paper but would like to try something else.  

100_0659.JPG

I've been using the chinese stuff that Peachtree Woodworking sells. The purple abrasive that 3M makes is awesome but boy are they proud of that stuff ! The blue zircon abrasive is pretty good too. Last roll I got was from Woodworkers Supply.  Klingspor has pretty decent abrasives, they make the stuff SuperMax sells. 

Get a big block of crepe rubber, keep it in the freezer, use it often and clean up the crumbs before you go back to sanding ! That's the single most important tip for drum sanders I've learned in the last 20 years. A frozen rubber block cleans the resin out of your abrasive faster and lasts longer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Get a big block of crepe rubber, keep it in the freezer, use it often and clean up the crumbs before you go back to sanding ! That's the single most important tip for drum sanders I've learned in the last 20 years. A frozen rubber block cleans the resin out of your abrasive faster and lasts longer. 

I’ve never heard about freezing it, thanks. Where did you hear about this little tidbit of info? 

Come to find out the Klingspor is the same paper I been paying more for under the name of Jet.  Great news because I like the paper and now I can save about $30 a box.  I did a lot of sanding today and noticed that keeping the crepe in freezer did everything you said Steve.  I always cleaned my paper allot but today was different . I had some old paper in my sander and pushed it harder than I ever have been able to and I cant believe I didn't burn the paper today. I was going to put new paper on this morning before I even started but I'm glad I didn't now.  I have a 6.5 hp sander and was using all of 37 amps at times today and its a 50 amp sander. Its like I have a new machine . Thank you Steve. Where do I send the check?

I use the blue zirconium from woodworkers supply on my drum sander. I also use it on my belt sander. A few years ago I bought a box of 10 belts. After a long time I finally used up the third belt. And from there the splines on the belt all kept breaking. Not the fault of the splines. It took forever to use up 3 belts. Woodworkers gave me a credit. Now I order 3 belts at a time. I also use it on my 12" disc sander. Woodworker actually manufactures most of their  sanding products including all the zirconium stuff.

• Like 1