Sign in to follow this  
Pondhockey

Bit and Blade Cleaners

After recent advice on this forum, I finally cleaned my table saw blade - what a difference!  Then my new router bit started making rough cuts - I cleaned it (thanks Wdwerker), and behold, it cut cleanly again.

So I've been looking for bit and blade cleaners (also have used the term pitch, in searches.)  No love from the local or regional hardware and home improvement stores (even Woodcraft, who I now know does carry a product.)  Here's some info I've found:

Product reviews:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/more/blade-bit-cleaners

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/bladeCleaners.html

In short, recommended products were:

Empire Blade Saver

Boeshield Blade and BIt

Rockler PItch and Resin Remover (also sold as a kit)

Stuff that I've been using (Simple Green, 407, various solvents...)  were not in the top few performers.

Huh i get better results than he did with simple green. I use a stiffer brush than a tooth brush though.

• Like 1

Like Drew I use simple green. I used to use CMT blade cleaner but the simple green works just as well. 

@RichardA turned me onto Simple Green. That and a small brass bristled brush makes short work. Just let it set for a few minutes. 

@wdwerker   in the "embers" thread writes:

I usually get this at Peachtree Woodworking because they are local , it's cheap and it works. Gloves should be used if you are sensitive to harsh chemicals or live in California. The more often you clean them the easier it is to get the resin off. 

https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_cleaners.html

The Trend and Pitch RX  work similarly. I use the plastic brush listed at the bottom of the page. The T-9 hasn't impressed me much.

I also use Bostik Dricote spray on my bits and blades after each cleaning. Depot carries it. It's a Teflon type coating. I like the stuff even though it has gotten mixed reviews. Glidecote is their spray to use on fences & tabletops. They've got a bearing lube too, it works great on router bit bearings.

• Thanks 1

I have also used Simple Green and have had great results.One more use it the best cleaner for your car or truck engine spray it on a warm engine and let it sit for a few minutes and spray it off I use it at 100% on the engines .

• Like 1

I most often use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.  You can pick it up really cheap at the dollar store.  Basically, it's just alcohol (a very good cleaner) in a gel medium, so it sticks where you put it.  Spread it around a bit with a bristle brush of your choice, let it sit, brush it around a bit, and wipe it off.

I found out the method from the TabLeft You Tube channel and just had to try it myself.  I did my own video on how it works.

I use Dawn and hot water. After soaking for a couple of minutes, a rag will remove the gunk, no brush needed. Just dry thoroughly when done.

Probably a poor choice for router bits with bearings still attached ....

13 hours ago, Dennis O'Shea said:

I have also used Simple Green and have had great results.One more use it the best cleaner for your car or truck engine spray it on a warm engine and let it sit for a few minutes and spray it off I use it at 100% on the engines .

Good to know, never thought about it for that. Dad raised me to use Tide powder and I do to this day. A clean engine sure makes for a healthier car and cleaner maintenance. Thanks

Can't say it enough.  L.A. Awesome.  $1 a bottle at the dollar store.  Works better than Simple Green, Extreme Simple Green, 409 and commercial blade cleaners I have tried.  Been using it for years and I have probably spent an entire $5 on cleaner in that time.  Apply with a spray bottle, let soak a minute and brush lightly with an old tooth brush.  Rinse with water and dry with a towel and/or compressed air.