Shop Aprons ?

wdwerker

I use this one Rockler Apron.   I am real happy with it.  If you read the reviews the biggest complaint is putting it on and taking it off, and it collects dust in the pockets.  I don't know why people find it so hard to put on and yes you do end up with sawdust in the pockets, sawdust is a byproduct of woodworking, but I just take everything out of the pockets about once a week and turn the apron upside down and shake it out.  Again I don't find it to be a big challenge to do this.

This apron is a nice size, the pockets are nice and big, there are 4 down low but I tend to only use the two in the center (one for tape measure and one has a 4 inch double square, and eraser and chalk if I am using it). and the ones up high have a couple of pencil size pockets (I carry a mechnical pencil and regular pencil and a small 6 inch rule) and a bigger one that would be good for a not pad if you carry one (I don't)

I wanted one for turning.   I asked my Wife if she had one of the ones that she doesn't use for dog washing any more.   So I have a plastic one with pictures of all sorts of dogs on it that I use for turning now.  She decided to keep the solid colored ones.

15 minutes ago, Llama said:

I own the LN one. I don't wear it often. Usually because I wear shorts, and if I wear the apron it looks like I don't have pants on :)

Worried about the neighbor ladies? :P

• Haha 1

I just retired this Lee Valley apron. If I'm in the shop I have it on I think this one was like 15 years old.

IMG_2866.jpg.d736ee1db93fbcadd68f2dccc562894c.jpg

for this one...I'm really trying not to wipe glue off on this one but its not going well...old habits are hard to break. I did reconfigure it a bit, changed the straps from cross in the back to just a neck loop also added two pencil slots and opened up the smaller pocket so the dust collector remote fit better.

IMG_2867.jpg.5da3e49c69586cdd97730d251671eda9.jpg

I splurged a little (with the help of birthday money) and got this last year. Like Terry, I feel underdressed if the apron isn’t with me. I use it for pencils, sharpies, steel rules and a Stanley knife. 

The gun holster strap design is awesome. I can wear it all day and not feel the weight. That was the thing I hated about my last apron. All the weight on the neck strap was painful after a while. 

F6CF0AB9-1F00-4FA0-9FB5-E5F04D469FF3.jpeg

I went with this one and I like it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ9FJCP/ref=twister_B071Y1YD86?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I always hated tool belts/pouches and thought an apron would be even worse but now putting it on is the first thing I do when I get into the shop. I knew I wouldn't like one that hung from my neck so my options were limited but I'm glad I went with this shoulder strap one, I don't even notice I'm wearing it now. Aside from the fact I'm no longer wandering around looking for that camouflaged double square about 10 times a day one of the biggest benefits is I now have clean clothes. A $40 apron has saved me so much money since I don't have to buy nearly as many new shirts now. 

42 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Fancy lining ! Apron made in Asia?

Made in Australia - that label is getting rare these days. The owner travels to Japan and brings back fabric and old kimonos for a new life as apron lining. 

Nice topic!

I use a Woodcraft apron (it was on sale) about half the time.  It's handy for pencils, etc, adds a warmth layer this time of year, and keeps sawdust off my clothes (and in the apron pockets.)

Complaint:  bends in funny places when I bend.  

• 1 month later...

Twig and Bones Canvas Apron.

Got this as a gift , and love it. quality canvas , the leather is strong and durable , and very comfortable.

It's handmade and I just googled it for the first time. only 32$!

From the fit and finish of it , i would of easily paid 75-100 for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Twig-Bones-Leather-Apron-Pockets/dp/B01MRKN9VW/ref=lp_15067911011_1_1?srs=15067911011&ie=UTF8&qid=1524665462&sr=8-1&th=1

71skIQ1ggtL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

I wanted something just to keep dust, glue, stain, whatever off my clothes... and I thought about an apron, but then I started thinking something like a lab coat, and anyway I ended up with this shop coat which is intended for automotive mechanics.   It has snaps on the front so it's easy to take off, and there's pockets to drop a tape measure and pencil into.   I don't really carry any other tools with me, so...

81eVY4PG0dL._SX342_.jpg

14 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I wanted something just to keep dust, glue, stain, whatever off my clothes... and I thought about an apron, but then I started thinking something like a lab coat, and anyway I ended up with this shop coat which is intended for automotive mechanics.   It has snaps on the front so it's easy to take off, and there's pockets to drop a tape measure and pencil into.   I don't really carry any other tools with me, so...

81eVY4PG0dL._SX342_.jpg

Neat idea, and no pockets to collect sawdust.

But I think that I still want pockets.

10 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Neat idea, and no pockets to collect sawdust.

But I think that I still want pockets.

It has a couple pockets that easily collect sawdust.

For me it's mainly just about keeping my clothes clean.   At first I was considered about a long sleeve coat and the sleeves would get in the way, but they're actually kind of short, they come down to just above my wrists.

6 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

...  At first I was considered about a long sleeve coat and the sleeves would get in the way, but they're actually kind of short, they come down to just above my wrists.

Well, short is better; you don't want too much loose clothing around machinery.

4 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I have a cheap one from amazon, but I can only stand the extra heat for ~2 months of the year so I rarely use it.  Do you guys that use them have a climate controlled shop or do you just deal with it?

Fair question; there's only about 2-3 months out of the year in central Idaho when it's too hot to wear an apron (and then only for a few hours in the heat of the day.)   Someone on here claims to wear shorts and sandals in their shop.

Maybe aprons are regional.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian