Delta 14" older bandsaw repair

Ptownpapa

I have and old Delta Wood/Metal band saw with no serial number and need to get the correct pulleys for correct operation. I have used it for years but never shifted gears for metal. I'm sure the pulleys are not correct and have no idea of the two belt sizes.  Can anyone tell me the correct pulley sizes, I believe the bore is 3/4 inch . The motor is an original Delta  model T5071 1/2 hp  120/240 volt single phase 1725 RPM. 

Darrell

You can probably do a search on ebay, and find both belts and pulleys.  I put a 1-1/2hp Baldor motor on mine, and new belts several years ago, but don't have easy access to that machine right now.  The numbers on mine would probably work.  If you don't find what you need before early next week, I can check then.  Mine is a Delta/Milwaukee metal/wood model, but I just use it for wood.

Since I used a non-standard motor, I had a hard time finding exactly the right length belt, and ended up getting a PowerTwist segmented belt, so I could figure it out on the machine.  It runs really smoothly.

I've got one of those Delta/Rockwell 14" metal / wood bandsaws. Still running the original second belt. Replaced the motor w a 1 hp. I can  look & measure next week. Send me a PM to remind me mid week or if you have specific questions. 

The knurled knob on the pulley at the gearbox just has to be pulled straight out to engage it, mine is pretty tight. Wiggle & twist to get the teeth to mesh so it will pull all the way out.

Mine is probably older than Steve's, since it has the Milwaukee name on it, but mine has a lever that you turn 180 degrees to change the gearbox from wood to metal cutting.   It's been so long since I have looked a a schematic, that it might only use the one belt for woodcutting.   I do remember that I only bought one belt. 

Since mine and Steve's have different methods of changing gears, whichever one of ours matches yours should have a model number that would work to find parts.  edited to add:  we were typing at the same time.   I might go to where the saw is tomorrow.  If not, I'll get the numbers off of it next week.

The old motor had a multi-step pulley on it.  I didn't use that, but bought a single diameter, cast iron pulley, but don't remember the size.

I just checked ebay, and there are several belt guards on there.   Prices are from ridiculous to insane though.   My saw cost me nothing, since it belonged to my Dad, but after I had put all the money in it, fixing it up, I wished that I had just bought a 10-326 instead.   I do still use it, but cast iron is not as stiff as I thought it was.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon-14-deluxe-bandsaw-model-10-326?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY7VBRDtARIsAHWoO-JeXabUalSXj6ZK-2Qenehk92Fqbr2ltpjnmbZOc6TSCO5dwtboZaQaAgZiEALw_wcB

Mine is probably late 60's or early 70's. But the saw castings are thicker than the wood only version of that era.  I've got Step pulleys on the motor and the saw, then a second belt to a pulley with a knob that pulls out to engage.

That large upper pulley looks like someone had by-passed the transmission. 

All the drawings I have that look like my saw show the pulleys, but no information on the size in diameter  I assume the bore is 3/4" and the belt is 1/2".  The motor and the Large pulley are keyed 3/4" and the low gear Pulley is smaller bore and no key way just a flat spot for set screw.

Assuming the motor came with the unit since it is 1/2 HP and the name plate on it is Delta model  T5071 it would be nice to know what the recommended v-belt catalog number is.

Weather changed plans today, so I won't be going that way today.   I did think of another good source of information.  Contact info below.   I'm not sure if he's still around, and never had a website, but he knows everything there is to know about these saws, and sells a number of upgrades, and parts for them.

Iturra Design
1-904-642-2802
Toll Free: 888-722-7078
Email: KALL@comcast.net
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332

• 2 years later...