Osage orange - fiddling with inclusions

ramonajim

That's a very nice form. Is it common to turn that wood green wood to final thickness and finish?
Common, probably not. And most certainly not "proper" if I'm being honest.

I just started turning a few months ago, and quickly realized I was going to go broke buying lathe-ready blanks, so I started playing with what I could gather.

My complete lack of patience means I'm turning wet wood (this Osage Orange is ~ 25% moisture content).

Redefining normal daily

Welcome to the Forum !  That's some nice work . I got close to an Osage Orange tree once and it tried to bite me ! Ugly tree with thorns !
Do you do any other woodworking besides turning ?
About a hunnert years ago, I put myself through school repairing and refinishing antiques. It's only been in the past year I've finally hit a point where time, space, and money have aligned to the point that I've put together a shop and started tinkering.

Aside from bowls, I've done a few boxes.c35fb14f58a95130b710a5325263feea.jpg09a9eafe4751f2636b6fbee926280ef9.jpg3f45d02807c4ec16bf9d0c2e40050d0c.jpg

Redefining normal daily

• Like 1

You can turn green wood very thin, but it may warp as it dries. I did this with some Hawthorne, and it went from round to slightly oval, to very oval within a few days.  I really like the look, and after a couple of weeks I resanded and reapplied some oil and wax finish. The green wood seems to need that extra sanding after it dries.  As long as you know your final vessel may look different once dried, turn away. 

That's really nice work, both round and flat.  
How long did you let it dry before applying the finish coats?
That depends.

If I've got some BLO/shellac mix left on hand, it takes about a minute to put the sanding implements away, blow off the dust, glove up, and grab a rag.

If I have to make a new batch of finish starting from dissolving the shellac, there might be an hour between "done sanding" and "applying finish."

Did I mention patience isn't my strong suit?

Redefining normal daily