What feature do you find most distracting?

collinb

Poor proportions

Clashing figure

square, rectangular or boxy 

little thought given to matching boards on panels

too wide frame pieces

stripes through the centre of a table top

heavy legs

grain running in the wrong direction

wide dovetails on drawers

Thick drawer sides

non-traditional joinery

purple wood

Regards from Perth

Derek

17 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

... Your definition of fine furniture may be different than mine.

I need to build some shop furniture and will I be using clear walnut, no, it's shop furniture and construction lumber or knotty pine will be used and I'm ok with that, but that doesn't mean I would make a coffee table out of the same materials and call it fine furniture.  

That may be a separator here.  I AM working on a burl slab to make a coffee table.  I HAVE used black stained epoxy to fill voids.  I don't insist that it (or anything I work on, really) be called "fine", but I still hope to call it furniture and will replace a Thomas Kincaid piece with it.

To respond to the original question, I notice alignment also - but in the context of is it sturdy and not wobbly.  I like functionality.

For myself, I work hard on that, among other things, but seem to struggle most with finishing - especially with stains/finishes that enhance rather than occlude wood figure.

That may be a separator here.  I AM working on a burl slab to make a coffee table.  I HAVE used black stained epoxy to fill voids.  I don't insist that it (or anything I work on, really) be called "fine", but I still hope to call it furniture and will replace a Thomas Kincaid piece with it.

Using a burl and filling with epoxy to stabilize or fill voids is different in my book than taking a flat sawn piece of oak or other common species and filling it with epoxy because you don't want to source better materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Using a burl and filling with epoxy to stabilize or fill voids is different in my book than taking a flat sawn piece of oak or other common species and filling it with epoxy because you don't want to source better materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big oops:  (I didn't realize how defensive that sounded until reading it in your quote!)   I have no call to be defensive, being a novice woodworker who has yet to produce fine furniture.  Was only meaning to acknowledge that some of us are working with different, possibly more basic styles.

2 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Big oops:  (I didn't realize how defensive that sounded until reading it in your quote!)   I have no call to be defensive, being a novice woodworker who has yet to produce fine furniture.  Was only meaning to acknowledge that some of us are working with different, possibly more basic styles.

Not defensive.  There's certain things I like and don't like and I'm sure that goes for most people.  I'm by no means an expert woodworker, and whether you have been doing this for 2 weeks or 20 years I feel you need to always challenge yourself to advance in everything.  Looking back I should have never commented to this thread.  I have voiced my opinion on what I don't like in today's woodworking world.  Everyone should decide what they like and work towards that and not follow what may be the current trend.

• Like 2

I have lately taken more notice of species and grain selection as an important factor in the overall design. This is something I frequently fail at, usually because I am to cheap to source better materials.

I am really starting to notice when others present a piece with (IMO) poor choices in grain, too.

• Like 2