Part 1: First look at the lens display case

collinb

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

So the lens is cradled on 2 dowels ? Nice looking cases. What finish will it get ?

Yes. I've suggested (and he is going to) use a large "post office" rubber band on the end of each pair. It raises up the end of the lens and adds some friction as well.

43 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Looks nice! This is for camera lenses?

Yup.

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

I like the cases also.  Nice work.

Thanks.

My big concern was whether it would be true on 3 axes. Would hate to have it twist on me like a screw. But it came out perfect. This afternoon/evening I'll adjust the door hangars, make a few more long pegs, and add some of the accoutrements. Wife's going to clean the glass and dust during the day today. Delivery at 9 a.m. tomorrow.

8 hours ago, prov163 said:

Nice looking piece. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Very interesting! How do telephoto lenses hang in there?

Those longer lenses that fit will sit on longer pegs.

Obviously some lenses will be too long, though I wouldn't be surprised if he would set some across pegs and rubber-banded them down. :-)

When it comes to finishing it, he has one employee who does artwork around the store and will be finishing/decorating this case.

Less work for me. I've already got about 80 hours in it. That's more than enough.

My new maxim: It's ok to be tired and say "enough" but it's not ok to be passively satisfied and say "good enough."

4 hours ago, Keggers said:

Nice looking piece. I can picture it in my mind full of lenses that I'd want to buy.

It will be an interesting morning tomorrow.

5 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Sometimes it's nice to build a job unfinished for someone else to do that part.  I hope you get to build a few more . That's when everything you figured out really pays off !

When I showed him the picture of it at lunch today he immediately spoke of the second. I'm hoping for more.

I built in a job security feature from the beginning, and he wanted it this way. The back panel is easily removed so that the shelving method can be changed at any time.

• Like 2