Sign in to follow this  
NGrimberg

password protection for Fanuc controls

I have had a couple of situations that an operator has changed some parameters on Fanuc 18-i series controls. I am looking for a parameter that will not let them turn parameter write on?

On 3/30/2018 at 7:38 AM, NGrimberg said:

I have had a couple of situations that an operator has changed some parameters on Fanuc 18-i series controls. I am looking for a parameter that will not let them turn parameter write on?

I am going back over 25 years since I worded with Fanuc controllers but it seems to me there were different levels of access in the program.  You're best bet would be to contact Fanuc and see if there is a way to set administrative and operator levels for the program.  In working with them the guy who programmed them had to set everything in the code at 50% because one of the operators would crank up the speed dial to 200% and break tooling on a regular basis.  Which was odd, because that machine (Robodrill) was not a bottleneck in the cell.

I seem to remember this question on a forum several years ago. Is this the same person asking? 

A quick search turned this up on a Mastercam forum from 2005. Don't know if it's what you're looking for specifically and I take ZERO, NONE, NADA responsibility for it, other than trying to help: (sorry for the weird formatting)

The password function (bit 4 (NE9) of parameter No. 3202) can be locked using parameter No. 3210 (PASSWD) and parameter No. 3211 (KEYWD) to protect program Nos. 9000 to 9999. In the locked state, parameter NE9 cannot be set to 0. In this state, program Nos. 9000 to 9999 cannot be modified unless the correct keyword is set.

A locked state means that the value set in the parameter PASSWD differs from the value set in the parameter KEYWD. The values set in these parameters are not displayed. The locked state is released when the value already set in the parameter PASSWD is also set in parameter KEYWD.

When 0 is displayed in parameter PASSWD, parameter PASSWD is not set.

1 Set the MDI mode.

2 Enable parameter writing. At this time, P/S alarm No. 100 is issued on the CNC.

3 Set parameter No. 3210 (PASSWD). At this time, the locked state is set.

4 Disable parameter writing.

5 Press the RESET key to release the alarm state.

1 Set the MDI mode.

2 Enable parameter writing. At this time, P/S alarm No. 100 is issued on the CNC.

3 In parameter No. 3211 (KEYWD), set the same value as set in parameter No. 3210 (PASSWD) for locking. At this time, the locked state is released.

4 Set bit 4 (NE9) of parameter No. 3202 to 0.

5 Disable parameter writing.

6 Press the RESET key to release the alarm state.

7 Subprograms from program Nos. 9000 to 9999 can now be edited. The locked state is set when a value is set in the parameter PASSWD. However, note that parameter PASSWD can be set only when the locked state is not set (when PASSWD = 0, or PASSWD = KEYWD). If an attempt is made to set parameter PASSWD in other cases, a warning is given to indicate that writing is disabled. When the locked state is set (when PASSWD = 0 and PASSWD = KEYWD), parameter NE9 is automatically set to 1. If an attempt is made to set NE9 to 0, a warning is given to indicate that writing is disabled.

Parameter PASSWD can be changed when the locked state is released (when PASSWD = 0, or PASSWD = KEYWD). After step 3 in the procedure for unlocking, a new value can be set in the parameter PASSWD. From that time on, this new value must be set in parameter KEYWD to release the locked state.

PASSWORD

FUNCTION

0/

0/

Explanations

Setting parameter

PASSWD

Changing parameter

PASSWD

When 0 is set in the parameter PASSWD, the number 0 is displayed, and the password function is disabled. In other words, the password function can be disabled by either not setting parameter PASSWD at all, or by setting 0 in parameter PASSWD after step 3 of the procedure for unlocking. To ensure that the locked state is not entered, care must be taken not to set a value other than 0 in parameter PASSWD.

After the locked state has been released, it can be set again by setting a different value in parameter PASSWD, or by turning the power to the NC off then on again to reset parameter KEYWD.

CAUTION

Once the locked state is set, parameter NE9 cannot be set to 0 and parameter PASSWD cannot be changed until the locked state is released or the memory all–clear operation is performed. Special care must be taken in setting parameter PASSWD.

Setting 0 in parameter

PASSWD

Re–locking