Steel Straight Edge-SSE

ben_r_

Vertias strait edges are thicker and cheaper. Though they are technically less accurate. .0006 vs .0015 over 36". 7/32nds is a hair under 1/4" which is more towards the thin side in my opinion. The veritas steel edges are 3/8"

I think I'd still prefer the aluminum strait edge from veritas. It's thick enough to stand up on it's own, you can get it in 50" without breaking the bank and it's thick enough to stand on it's own.

In the early 90's a machinist got me a 36" length of precision ground tool steel. It's 1/4" x 1" . It lives in a drawer and gets handled and used gently.  I think it was about $38 which seemed high at the time. Years later I priced a slightly thicker one and it was around $80. I seriously doubt woodworkers need such high accuracy in such a simple tool. The only drawback to a high precision aluminum straightedge is the risk of it collecting nicks and dings.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Vertias strait edges are thicker and cheaper. Though they are technically less accurate. .0006 vs .0015 over 36". 7/32nds is a hair under 1/4" which is more towards the thin side in my opinion. The veritas steel edges are 3/8"

I think I'd still prefer the aluminum strait edge from veritas. It's thick enough to stand up on it's own, you can get it in 50" without breaking the bank and it's thick enough to stand on it's own.

I use the Lee Valley 50" as my longest straight edge and its been nothing but great! I have a 24" Starrett as well and use that whenever its the right fit.

I just looked over the Lee Valley straightedges. They've got a 1 1/2" x 3/8 x 36" steel one for $89.50 . And the Aluminum ones look pretty decent too if you want a longer one. 

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=56676&cat=1,240,45313,56676

Has anyone looked at the Woodpeckers flat bars for aligning boards being glued up ? 1" X 1 1/4" solid aluminum bars with the bolts at the end. $100 for the 36" version

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e