Harbor Freight Band Saw?

chucknbob

So I’ve been in the market for a new band saw, but I’ve had zero luck finding something used, and I don’t have $700 for a new 14”. 

Does anyone have any experience with the Harbor Freight 14” saw? I’ve seen reviews online saying with a good blade it can be a decent tool for the money, but I’m wary of the budget tools. 

Has anyone actually used this saw that could share their thoughts?

My observation of the "Central Machinery" tools at HF is that they tend to knock off solid, but older, designs from other companies. Fit and finish is about what you'd expect from a tool of such price. The kicker is that you never know if it will work out of the box. I have a sander and an angle grinder that won't quit, and a router that came out of the package with a broken handle. It runs, so I table mounted, works fine.

If you can't inspect the machine before purchase, be sure to buy the extra warranty. You may have to exchange it, and the warranty smooths the process a lot.

I can't speak to HF but I purchased a small Rikon $199 a couple years back and ended up giving it to my daughter to make crafts with. I was unable to get the blade to track due to the poor guide adjustments which made it pretty much worthless for anything other than pine crafts in my opinion. I would watch CL for an older Jet 14" you can pick them up for a few hundred bucks

On 4/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, gee-dub said:

A recent Wood Magazine Issue #253 had reviews of bandsaws from $130 to $500.   It seems there was a HF in there.

Thank you!! Picked it up yesterday. The HF unit wasn’t there, but a couple in that price range were. 

I made the trip to Harbor Freight today and I wasn’t impressed. Then I went to Sears to check out the one that was in the article and really liked it. Think I’ve made a decision