New host for Rough Cuts.....

I remember watching Tommy Mac's first season of Rough Cut, and it was, well, rough.  The problem with any new host/woodworking show, is it is instantly going to be compared to Norm.  Most likely the new host will need a few episodes in season 1 to figure out his methodology to make the show work for him.  I am betting it will get better as it moves along, much like it did with Tommy Mac.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:07 AM, JohnDi said:

I agree. Whoever planned the NYW episodes did so in a way that made me feel like I could build the project they showed, and Tommy's builds felt like I was just watching someone else build furniture.

I had the chance years ago to talk with Norm about the show He said on average each show was between 35 and fifty hours on and off  camera and then it was edited down to the final product 

I've never seen Rough Cut before this table episode. What I took away from it was the look of the show. I haven't seen many woodworking shows or Youtube channels that have that style of editing. It's a well lit shop and the camera makes good use of that with all the different shots.

I do not like the method of making the tenons on the apron. I avoid flipping the board for 2 different sides to the fence. Even with the index board. It could work. But if the thickness of the apron varied slightly the tenon would not fit. I like to reference to the face. Lately for the sake of time I have used dominoes instead of mortise and tenon. I like them both. Also I would cut the tenon haunch the same time I cut off the cheeks on the table saw. Same set up. Not the band saw...

13 hours ago, curlyoak said:

I do not like the method of making the tenons on the apron. I avoid flipping the board for 2 different sides to the fence. Even with the index board. It could work. But if the thickness of the apron varied slightly the tenon would not fit. I like to reference to the face. Lately for the sake of time I have used dominoes instead of mortise and tenon. I like them both. Also I would cut the tenon haunch the same time I cut off the cheeks on the table saw. Same set up. Not the band saw...

I may have misheard him, but I'm pretty sure he said NOT to flip the board for that very reason.

I compare it to car shows where they take an old clunker from the junk yard and an hour later, they have some screaming hot rod with flames and custom leather interior. You aren't going to learn how to really do it, since it took a team of 5 guys working full time for a week to do it, but you can enjoy the show. The same is true here. You might catch a technique or two, but mostly it is hyper condensed to just give the flavor.