Small Project: Bed for a Special Little Dog

wnaziri

It was time to do a fun little project for our 3 year old Cavalier King Charles.  She was in need of an official bed. 

DSC_144.thumb.jpg.ef0419d286e2f682a93f548bb63e05fd.jpg

Well, as with many woodworkers, I am a lumber hoarder.  I have a really hard time throwing out lumber.  From my recent projects, I had accumulated a nice little collection, including cutoffs from mahogany table legs, 7/8" mahogany that I had leftover, and some veneered panels that I had made a while back for a gaming table.  I had to re-do the veneered panels because I sanded through the veneer in a couple of areas (I am sure it was the Festool sander's fault:rolleyes:).  After a few crude sketches, I came up with the following "design".  The construction is mortise and tenoned.  The lumber is genuine mahogany.  The panel that I used for the bed is Baltic Birch with pommele sapele veneer on both sides.  The finish is satin Arm-R-Seal.

IMG_4722.thumb.jpg.0d1c24d5569f4e75f3f60da233b27ff0.jpg

Above, you can see the panels when I was initially working on them about 1.5 years ago.  After screwing up the first batch, I ended up making a whole new set of panels.

5acc083d89ad5_IMG_5613(1).thumb.jpg.9c9a26b1c8359cc24fe539eb163cf2be.jpg

I should mention that I was modifying the design on the fly.  

IMG_5697.thumb.jpg.626b08c0287a7d5bc1ae528b9d5fcdf8.jpg

I elected to do mitered corners mainly to see the accuracy of my new Felder K700s sliding table saw.  This saw is spot on.  The miters have 3 cm dominos for strength.

IMG_5716.thumb.jpg.ab070d03f893660628d0bb8641ee06ec.jpg

Here is the end product with a couple coats of ARS.  I think that doggie likes it.  I just hope she doesn't like it so much that she starts gnawing on it.   

Thanks for viewing.