Sign in to follow this  
gee-dub

Random Tip #14 - Bandsaw Door Mod

You have to take the doors off your bandsaw to change the blades? Huh. I never knew that was a thing. The door on mine just swings out of the way. After about 95 degrees it's just a non issue.

Good tip in life for things that aren't bandsaw doors though.

• Like 1

My bandsaw spine is very close to the wall and clamps hang on the wall.  The doors will open 180 but, not in my space.  It is on a mobile base that rolls out but, I have to raise the leveling feet in order to do that.  Pulling the doors is much easier for me although I wouldn't balk at a larger shop ^_^.

P.s. I have never moved the saw in 9 years so I guess the mobile base was a waste ;-) 

• The butcher saws that I used to work with were the same way, again because they were always positioned against a wall.  Even though the doors were made of cast aluminum they were still pretty heavy and could be a challenge to get back on. 

It’s amazing how smaller things make life so much easier. I have a 7’10.5” trailer (don’t ask) whose tail gate has to come off every time I buy ply. It is hinged the same way. You can bet, the next time it comes off, I’ll take the grinder to one of the pins. Thanks. 

Ha! I feel like an idiot! I never thought of removing the doors. I just wrestle my bandsaw away from the stack of wood next to it until I can open the doors all the way. DUH!