The Pekovich Cabinet

woodbutcher

[mention=22137]woodbutcher[/mention], back a few frames, what do you find the advantage to be, cutting the tails first on your dt’? By no means being critical, just asking. And how do you remove the waste on both boards? The reason for asking, I’m working on my third project with dt’s, all guild builds following Marc’s lead and he cuts the pins first. I understand from reading from others that it’s personal thing, whatever floats your boat. Just wondered your opinion. This thing is looking fantastic by the way, resaw was phenomenal. 
Thanks Coop! I like cutting tails first, because i can cut the tails and remove the waste, and thats all there is to do to them. Then once the transfer to the pin board is made, if any paring is needed to fit the tails, which at this point for me, a little is required on each joint, i have room to get my chisel to the side wall of the pins. Now if i were to cut them pins first, if any paring is needed on the tails to get the fit, theres not much room at all for chisel in the small area between the tails. Of course, this wouldnt be a problem if i made the pins huge, but skinny pins look so much better.

Now im sure one could cut the pins, transfer them to the tail board and cut the tails, then pare the pins to get the fit, but that sort of back and forth just doesnt make as much sense to me as tails first, transfer and cut the pins, then pare back what you need. We need a pins first dovetailer to offer it from their perspective.

I remove the waste with a coping saw. Nothing fancy just a $10 stanley from the home center. I take my time with it and try to leave less than a 1/16" to chop back to the base line with a chisel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love the little details that really show your true craftsmanship. Those are some nice thick hinges ! So after the drawer is the kumiko ?

I have cut the hinge recess too deep when doing the same thing you did. I just added pieces of paper under the hinge until it was just the right depth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I love the little details that really show your true craftsmanship. Those are some nice thick hinges ! So after the drawer is the kumiko ?

I have cut the hinge recess too deep when doing the same thing you did. I just added pieces of paper under the hinge until it was just the right depth.

Thank you! After the drawer im gonna do the back. Ill resaw some ash, then half lap the edges. Im a little nervous about resawing the ash that I have, the boards are 13/16" thick. Im hoping for 1/4 " thick at least, thats gonna be cutting it close i think. 

1 hour ago, ..Kev said:

Solid work! Sharp looking cabinet!

Thanks Kev!

Those DT's look great!

Thanks! Yes those are easily the best on the project so far. Very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Great job on the dt’s. Marc used the same technique using a mallet taping on the saw to complete the cuts. 
Thanks. I thought I saw him doing it once. Its a great technique, saves alot of work.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...