Matching end tables for sister-in-law

Jason Goodrich

Family has absolutely no idea how much a woodworking project would cost. I started working on a pair of end tables for My wife’s sister today.

Easily $100 worth of wood and I already have about 10 hours of work into it and might be halfway. She asked if $50 would be enough to pay for them. Oh well. 

The table tops are book matched madrone life edged slabs with maple tapered legs.

I would like some feedback. I am doing mortise and tenon aprons into the legs, but the irregular shape of the live edge does not allow for one side to be a straight shot between two legs. Spud I leave that section out of create an angled , multi-segment connection?

FE39ECF3-B345-45B4-8D50-08AF00ECC1CB.thumb.jpeg.1d5dea7c5264508632cc9da5f6d26347.jpeg2D3F3486-78FC-4D2D-8539-EE97C5C23EAA.thumb.jpeg.8683b2f67638b4b2f4e0404735fcc1fa.jpeg

Just throwing an idea out. Depending on how tall the table is, end tables so not very tall, you could just do a support between the 2 side aprons to keep things strait. Seems like that would be more easily done but the curved apron is an interesting idea i do like it.

For the segmented apron i'd probably do 3 segments with floating tenons between them.  As long as the tables aren't getting thrown around the other aprons should handle the heavy lifting of daily use just fine.

Another option is to make a form and do bent lamination. This is the option that i'd go for to get a continuous grain all the way across.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...