Table/Pergola wood selection

socoj2

My Hoa is run by the Little Colonel, and wont let me have a pergola over my deck. I need to build a table for my Big Green Eggs anyway. im looking at doing a 12'x32" table i was going to use 3x 8x8x8 and build a cantilevered pergola with 3 foot on the back side and 9 foot on the other side.

What wood would you guys consider for this. First person that says teak Gets shot.

The HOA doesnt have a restriction on furniture so as long as its not permanent no permission required.

Pergola would be something like this but 3 uprights and a table build into it.

Image result for cantilevered pergola

5 hours ago, curlyoak said:

My wood choices would be Western Red cedar which is in the picture I think and Cypress. I think the cedar will outlast the cypress but the cypress is a good second choice. Mounted to a table may not be a big enough anchor for your construction.

Of after i show the HOA its a table. im going to bolt it do the Deck =)

I agree on the hollow 8x8. The center of a post offers very little strength, which is one reason why hollow structural steel members are hollow. My main concern would be with tipping over.  To make it a bit more stable i'd consider putting some feet on it until you appease the hoa and can bolt it down.

This guy does a lot of cool structural bent lamination work (curved LVL), and his channel is full of useful shots of how he puts them together. My favorite bit is that he builds forms on a work table by simply screwing blocks down and then bending the strips around the blocks. I believe he uses larch (and is in eastern europe) but cedar or similar ought to work for a similar approach I'd imagine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cygnus A said:

Interesting topic. i am looking at building one, but I want my roof covered (for rainy days). At what point do you need a city permit do build one of these?

Pretty much if its a Structure thats permanent. Otherwise its just furniture. Unless your hoa has a furniture ordinance.