Mahogany King Bed inspired by D & W

wnaziri

I think you nailed it.  Your wood selection, all the book match,but nothing isomer done.   I really like the center panels and changing the direction of the book match, nice detail.  I also like the curve being reversed on the footboard compared to the headboard.  

5 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Very nice. Where did you get that hardware (threaded insert and bolt)? Looks very classy compared to what I usually see at my local home center.

Thank you.  I bought 3/8 bolts with a hex head (easier to screw in place in tight quarters), 5" long and 3/8" threaded inserts from Fastenal.  The plate is something I made from 1/4" aluminum plate.  I thought it would be better to distribute the pressure of the bolt over a larger area.  The threaded inserts were screwed in place with a special threaded insert bolt that I bought from Amazon a while back.  Finally, I put a little bit of epoxy in each 1/2" holes (overkill)  that I drilled for the threaded inserts.

Nice, im looking to do a king bed in he next 3ish months. Queen size with two bulldogs and my wife isnt really cutting it. About how long did it take start to finish? The more i look at some of these builds, the less daunting they seem. 

Do you mind hitting me with some rough dimensions? Your legs look like they are roughly 3" square. Rails are 1.25-1.5" thick?

Panels look great. I have to say the mahogany is coming across much lighter than im used to. Is this african, honduran, fiji? Ive only used african and sapele before. African might look like that freshly planed and sanded, but sapele finishes significantly darker. 

22 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Nice, im looking to do a king bed in he next 3ish months. Queen size with two bulldogs and my wife isnt really cutting it. About how long did it take start to finish? The more i look at some of these builds, the less daunting they seem. 

Do you mind hitting me with some rough dimensions? Your legs look like they are roughly 3" square. Rails are 1.25-1.5" thick?

Panels look great. I have to say the mahogany is coming across much lighter than im used to. Is this african, honduran, fiji? Ive only used african and sapele before. African might look like that freshly planed and sanded, but sapele finishes significantly darker. 

I'm not sure how all the differen't Mahogany look alike species act but i know that Genuine or Honduran darkens with age. The Honduran Mahogany i have is very similar in color to his pictures but was considerably darker before i started working it.

• Like 1

I had a few pieces of what i assumed to be honduran--significantly heavier than other mahoganies ive held--from a massive shop liquidation auction out of cleveland. The boards were planed, but had sat for awhile and aged to that fantastic deep red. With that said, i havent used them, and thus havent seen honduran freshly planed. It could also be he has super bright or bluey flourescents 

African doesnt darken much with age from my experience. I regret building my one morris chair out of african. I should have used sapele, which starts with better color and ages better. Oddly enough, i think sapele is much less expensive for me too. Just bought a pack of 8/4 for under $4 a bdft. 

14 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

I do not have issues with sharing all the dimensions.  This bed is an Eastern King (vs California King) which is 76" x 80".

I can tell you that for posts, I started at 3" but they seemed "horsey".  I am really not a fan of thick, heavy furniture.  I reduced them down to 2 1/4 where I thought the length vs height ratio looked more pleasing.  The side rails are 1 1/4.  Cross pieces for the head and foot board are 1".  

Mahogany used for the is genuine mahogany.  Last year, I bought a boatload of Genuine mahogany.  It is an absolute pleasure to work with.   I have some African mahogany and I have no desire to go back to using it.  African "mahogany" has more brownish color. Genuine mahogany has a light, almost pinkish yellow color when freshly planed.  It darkens nicely with age.  Arm-R-Seal also help move the color along.

5 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

I happen to have a couple of really good pics from last year that show the color and patina of aged Genuine Mahogany  vs what it looks like when freshly planed.  I did this to see how quickly I could flatten a big board with my planers.  You also get to see my stash of my 20"-26" wide 16/4 mahogany supply.

IMG_4790.thumb.jpg.d5a97046660d2bc841919820831247eb.jpg

IMG_4793.thumb.jpg.115793df61a54ab1b1314958a53d818b.jpg

• Like 1

Now your just making me drool ! Bed turned out beautifully. I hope it is signed & dated . I have a few pieces of genuine Mahogany squirreled away but nothing thicker than 8/4. I know that pinkish hue you are talking about. The good stuff just behaves so much better than any of the substitutes.