Cutting Plastic on the Table Saw.

Keggers

Let's see if I can explain what I'm doing so everyone will understand.....

I'm building another (hopefully the last one) Lego table for my grandson. I have one piece of quality 3/4" plywood that will be used for the top. I'll attach nine 10" x 10" Lego plates to this top using super sticky carpet tape.

Now for the question - The plywood piece is about 1/8" too narrow for the plates to fit so I'll have a slight overhang along one side. Does anyone see a problem with cutting this overhang off on the table saw? My thinking was to attach all the plates to the plywood and then run the top through the saw with the plates faced down. I feel sure the plates won't come loose during the cut. Does anyone see a problem with cutting the plastic on the saw? Thanks!

16 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Cut with the plastic on top so blade is cutting down and won't chip up the edge. A block plane might work too. Steady feed rate. Too fast or slow will melt the plastic. Use a Very sharp plywood type blade, clean it first .

Thanks for the response Steve. You're right about putting the plastic on top. I could also use my Track saw as far as that goes. Good point on the cutting speed. Thanks again.

I have melted my share of plastic. They make blades just for cutting plastic. You might take a look and see what you have that is close. 

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/plastic-saw-blade-10-x-80t-x-5-8-arbor-oshlun-sbp-100080/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn

Triple chip teeth  was the only thing I noticed. They didn't mention hook angle of the teeth but that could be important. My blade for cutting Corian has a slightly negative hook angle I think.

I have a few 80 tooth blades so that's what I'll have to use. I don't have time to order another blade. His birthday is fast approaching. The track saw blade that comes with the Festool makes a super clean cut so I might decide to use that one. I only have one shot at getting this right.

I would adhere it to the plywood, flip it over (Lego plate down), and use a sharp utility knife to cut it. Since the plywood is adhered, you have a built in straightedge. It'll take multiple passes, but it will eliminate any potential schmoo from getting in between the Lego and tape, as well as no tear out or chipping of any kind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catco said:

I would adhere it to the plywood, flip it over (Lego plate down), and use a sharp utility knife to cut it. Since the plywood is adhered, you have a built in straightedge. It'll take multiple passes, but it will eliminate any potential schmoo from getting in between the Lego and tape, as well as no tear out or chipping of any kind.

After much thought, I've decided that your suggestion is the best way to go. No fear of tear out and no worries about melted plastic on my saw blades. If I don't get a straight cut I can then go to the flush trim router to clean things up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Be prepared to toss the bit if you speed and feed rate aren't right. I've gummed up one so badly it wasn't even worth trying to chip off all the Melted plastic

I have some cheap router bits that I wouldn't mind sacrificing if it comes to that.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, Keggers said:

I have a few 80 tooth blades so that's what I'll have to use.

When I was working with Nylon, we used 24 tooth, 18 in blades on the CNC saw, otherwise the plastic would melt. 

But the knife idea is probably your best bet.