Sign in to follow this  
Cheeset202

Another Roubo!!!

Take a look at Matt Estlea’s video series on YouTube, he builds his Roubo with this style of joint.  It is a great video series and Matt is a very talented and humorous host, kinda like the Marc of England!  Would be hilarious to get those two together.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

That is not the joint I had in mind.

This one is

Roubo5.e.jpg

David Barron also has a good video about making the top and this joint together, in case you haven't seen it.

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to look them up, but I've seen that joint done for benches in several YT videos.  If done right during the benchtop lamination, like David Barron did, it should be pretty easy to do.

41 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm too lazy to look them up, but I've seen that joint done for benches in several YT videos.  If done right during the benchtop lamination, like David Barron did, it should be pretty easy to do.

I am not using a laminated top.  Solid slabs.  But lets get back to the OP's build.  Sorry for causing the detour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I am not using a laminated top.  Solid slabs.  But lets get back to the OP's build.  Sorry for causing the detour.

Ha, keeping a Roubo Build on track is like trying to make mdf with your sawdust. Sounds possible, doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Worked on the leg vise this weekend, got it working smoothly and dressing up the chop with some bubinga I had left over from my dining chair build.  Next weekend finish up shaping the chop and putting the base together.

3CE7D5B2-0B29-40F4-82F5-811386AAA59D.jpeg

4B5DDEEB-F6F4-464B-B6E6-812987BD7C51.jpeg

1F02C1B9-C43B-4B64-8FCE-22CAE79E11CF.jpeg

771BD764-DBE0-4FF2-B7C2-6C5DFDBC221C.jpeg

• Like 2

That is some sexy super light Maple.  It's so consistent.  The bubinga looks great. 

Got a little work done this weekend, getting warm now so my shop time usually starts to wind down around 1:00 PM.  Routed in the mortises on the top for the base, champhered the legs, routed out the deadman slot and did some shaping on chop.  Pretty happy with the fit of the base to the top, have one gap about 0.005” where the top rail is slightly below the leg shoulder.  Pretty important to get the drawbore hole in the tenon centered exactly to the hole in the legs!

BFA35552-E35A-41D4-B75F-F8959A5F6997.jpeg

33308054-375A-4659-8CFE-B91794CDE33D.jpeg

3ECE79C4-414E-4E80-8551-AADF7927D621.jpeg

E1093FD6-CA9E-41E1-B1BE-692A0AD1DD2C.jpeg

4AED1D6E-026C-4012-AA8A-924188AC4382.jpeg

462604F6-36FB-4654-BC9E-1492873B2A9C.jpeg

BDAF7AB8-A845-4D65-B1CA-513DC293B29B.jpeg

• Like 1

That is some sexy super light Maple.  It's so consistent.  The bubinga looks great. 

If your biggest Gap is single thousandths.  Ya did good. I think one of mine that has a spacer in it approx 2 playing cards and some spit i think. 

• Haha 1

Brendon, it is very nice maple, I got it from Bell Forest products, not much of a selection for hardwood in this part of Idaho.  We have one place up in Coeur D Alene but their prices are rediculous, I can get my hardwood delivered to my door about 30% cheaper than driving 45 minutes to pick it up!  I have found the guys at Bell to be very good to work with and I usually get the lumber in 8-10 days.

• Like 1