derekcohen

Apothecary chest

Looking forward to watching this build progress.  I'm hoping to build something similar in the near future, although there isn't a chance I'll even attempt a curved front :(

• Like 1

Can we just retitle the thread to" check out the bad assery you're too scarred to even attempt, but D Cohen nailed"

After seeing other examples of complex curved furniture from Derek, I'm super excited to watch this onee take shape

• Thanks 1

This should be fun to follow !  So is a bombe chest a possible future project ?

• Like 1

This is some nice clean work Derek.  Good way to spend a holiday.

• Like 2

So those are straight sided dados ? I guess with the case being dovetailed the center dividers don't need sliding dovetails. It's a pleasure to follow such craftsmanship in action.

• Like 2

Yes, straight sides rather than sliding dovetails. The extra holding is unnecessary as there will be many more drawer blades to add, and each brings with it more glue area. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is great. Waiting for the next posts, I feel like a kid just before Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

So those are straight sided dados ? I guess with the case being dovetailed the center dividers don't need sliding dovetails. It's a pleasure to follow such craftsmanship in action.

I was thrown too when he described the saw and mention sliding dovetails, not realizing he said dado’s. Really neat saw and chisel, not to mention beautiful work Derek. 

• Like 1

Ahh Derek, Derek, Derek, you have me standing here watching the ball leave the park. To impressive.

• Like 1

Your  lingerie chest is impressive. But I was thinking "Boston Bombe Chest like this .

A50D679A-B736-4FEB-A60D-15170A97E695-9191-00000BBED2DB44C6.jpeg.a37b525c5e5707b4fa1ad8aaca22ca1c.jpeg FEB43550-02EE-41FF-9046-CDC31EA06BAA-9191-00000BBEC50C5470.jpeg.6a571f3aa5abcb63a7b0c8357dc59eed.jpeg 

Not my pictures, found them on the web. 

Hi Steve

I spent a great deal of time studying Boston Bombe chests before building the Lingerie Chest. I used the same techniques and procedures.

I am deeply appreciative of the amount of work and the skill level required in the Bombe. I consider this style to be the apex for most woodworkers. But one does not lie in my future since my taste in furniture is modern. The chest I built is as close to the traditional design as I will get. What it confirmed first hand was anything with a curve in it takes several times longer to build. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

It's probably the most difficult shape I can think of. I admire the shape but can see myself building one or buying one either !