derekcohen

Apothecary chest

Its a lot of extra work but you won't start cutting corners now !  It takes a great deal of focus and some test/ practice to figure out the procedure you are going to follow then work your way through all 24 drawers. The thing I find intimidating is sequence matched fronts means at least 4 fronts to redo if a mistake ruins a front.  I always try to have an extra section of matching wood as a precaution if possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Its a lot of extra work but you won't start cutting corners now !  It takes a great deal of focus and some test/ practice to figure out the procedure you are going to follow then work your way through all 24 drawers. The thing I find intimidating is sequence matched fronts means at least 4 fronts to redo if a mistake ruins a front.  I always try to have an extra section of matching wood as a precaution if possible.

He has the grain beautifully matched on those drawer fronts.  Pray there's no errors.  Starting again would be a beach.

• Like 1

Really great description and photos of your technique.  Your talent and patiences to do the same thing for three weekends is way beyond anything I would want to do, my hats of to you.

• Like 2

I love it!. Very impressive. And the extra effort made for those of us to see. With a presentation one would expect from a high priced book. Are you published? If not you could be. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Published? Do you mean books? If so, no. I have featured in several magazines, such as Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, and the Australian Wood Review, both for furniture and tool building, and have a website. None of this means that much these days.

Regards from Perth

Derek

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Derek, do you clamp a support block next to those pin boards to help the router stay level while wasting out the tail sockets? 

No. I just white-knuckle it! :) 

The issue is that the side of the board is angled, and this makes it difficult to create a support platform. It is more of an issue laterally. The depth can be controlled with a fence I built on the router. So I hold the router very carefully to ensure that it does not drop to one side. Fortunately it is light and small. So far there has not been a mishap (touch wood)!

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Thanks 1

Books or magazines. You are published. Some offerings are not worthy, I agree. Your work along with the presentation righteously should be shared. From my point of view, what you offer is a gift. Thank you.

• Like 2

I made a not-so-short video this weekend. I do not recommend watching it late at night, unless you are seeking a cure for your insomnia. 

This is the first time I have done anything like this - I thought it would be a good challenge. 

I do hope that you get something from it. There are a number of techniques that I demonstrate that may be new to you. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1