derekcohen

Apothecary chest

This is a beautiful build, Derek!  Walnut is my favorite wood to work outside of the exotics.  Matter of fact, I buy Walnut every 3-4 weeks and probably 95% of what I build is Walnut.  Pretty, isn't it!!

Can't wait to see this go through the stages and it looks just great.

David

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

It's probably the most difficult shape I can think of. I admire the shape but can see myself building one or buying one either !

Can or can’t? I know as a child of the 60’s, it’s not something I’d find myself putting my tighty whities or crew socks in. 

Great build Derek.  

The merbau that you are using on the interior, is that a native speices?  My dad purchased  a small chest from the Philippines during the later part of World War II that is made from  Eucalyptus wood and it has a real similar grain and appearance.  

Hi Chet

Intsia bijuga is a species of flowering tree in the pea family, Fabaceae, native to the Indo-Pacific. It ranges from Tanzania and Madagascar east through India and Queensland, Australia to the Pacific islands of Fiji and Samoa. It is mainly used for outdoor furniture and decking, a lot like teak.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My first thought when you said how many dados needed cut was "I would cut at least one on the wrong side of the line." Glad I'm not alone. Great progress and recording so far.

So the grain direction on the patch. Is it thin enough that your not worried about  wood movement? Loving the build btw.

Drew, the patch is 3mm thick and 12mm wide. It is not structural. Nothing to worry about. It is inside the carcase where it will never be seen.

Regads from Perth

Derek

Oh i was thinking along the lines of it popping off. I'm not an expert on wood movement so just curious.

Plywood gets glued up in alternating layers. Thin pieces seem to behave where thick and wide pieces tend to fail. 

Thanks for showing your mistakes & repair Derek !

Great work as always Derek.  Interesting technique, using your cutting gauge for clean up.

You're wearing me out, but don't stop, I like how this is being done.  I always learn something from your builds.

• Like 1

Well it's a good thing those dados were cut so perfectly from the get go so the patch went well. The separation from the beginner to the expert is not plowing on but going back and fixing your mistakes good work!

I really like how the look is turning out. This is beautiful. This build is making me consider building something similar myself.

• Like 1

Nice recovery Derek.

There are two types of wood workers, those that make mistakes and admit it and then find a way to fix them, and those that lie about never making mistakes. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is some real amazing work and attention to detail.  It is fun to watch.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    all5ofus@ptd.net
    Newest Member
    all5ofus@ptd.net