Apothecary chest

derekcohen

Well, I spent late afternoon turning knobs for the chest. I should have done this at the start, but thought it would take too long. In all, it required about 2 hours. They are not quite finished, but enough is done so you get an idea. And your thoughts, as always, are welcomed.

All along, Lynndy has said, "make the knobs in the same colour as the drawers". She wants them to blend in, and after staring at the chest knob-less for so long, I see her point. So they will be finished in oil and wax, as per the carcase and drawer fronts.

The iron knobs are 22mm wide and 21mm high. The new knobs are 18mm wide and 20mm high.

knobs2.jpg

The tenon is 3/8" and long enough to extent through the drawer front and be attached with a wedge from inside. 

knobs3.jpg

Some have a little wax to obtain an idea of the final colour.

There are enough here for all the drawers ...

knobs1.jpg

The idea is for the knobs not to dominate ...

knobs4.jpg

Thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Should look much better. Slight variations add to the hand made aspects of the whole cabinet. Centering the larger hole on an existing one can be tricky without some sort of jig. I'm sure you are aware of the curved fronts adding to the difficulty of drilling straight too.  Do you think wedging aligned horizontally might split a front ? Just a thought that popped into my head. 

So enjoyable to follow your project ! Thanks for bringing us along.

• Like 1

Steve, I originally considered drilling all the knobs to face forward. I even designed a jig to facilitate straight drilling. This is more complicated than it sounds, but I was prepared to do it. However, it also occured to me that placing the knob vertical on each drawer front would flow with the curve and not fight it. I went with this. And no jig needed :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’m just catching up. Curved inside drawer fronts are OCD at it’s finest. Dove tails are impeccable. Wedges on the pulls, tell me it’s not so. This and @davewyo Cabriole Thing will definitely qualify for FWW gallery. If not, I’ll stop my subscription. . Sad part is, they don’t allow enough pics to appreciate the detail and hours spent. 

• Like 2

Shipplapping the back

When you see shavings like this ...

1-1a.jpg

... you know a skew rebate plane is at work.

2a.jpg

Shiplapping is the joining of boards using an overlapped rebate. The advantage of this is to allow for movement while presenting an outward solid and sealed surface.

create-an-accent-wall-with-shiplap-10277

The rebate is on each, but opposite sides of the board. In this case, I have made the rebate 10mm wide. This will allow for an overlap of about 7-8mm.

Here I have made use of sections of Black Walnut that would otherwise be considered offcuts ...

4a.jpg

The boards are 6mm thick, and each rebate is just 3mm high ...

1a.jpg

Planing take a few minutes with the Veritas Skew Rabbet plane ...

3a.jpg

When the carcass was dovetailed together, allowance was made for a rebate all around the rear of the chest. This required that the area close to the pins was left uncut ...

9a.jpg

... which can be seen at the corners ..

5a.jpg

The waste was now chiselled out ...

6a.jpg

The boards could now be cut to length and fitted. The rebate gap between boards was set with a spacer ...

8a.jpg

No glue is used as the boards are free to expand into the gap. A single screw holds them close to the overlap ...

9a.jpg

Done ...

7a.jpg

And no one will see any of this :huh:

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think the turned knobs is definitely going to look better.  Like you said they should blend in with the project real well.  A simple thing like choosing a knob can make or break a project.

• Like 2

That is truly a legacy piece of furniture..  Very well crafted beyond anything I could hope to do.  It's a piece of furniture that is a piece of art.  That took a lot of faith to cut the legs off of the base so close to the competition.  Good luck at the show.

• Like 1