Sign in to follow this  
NGrimberg

How to remove small broken tap efficiency & tool supplier

Hello all, 

We are going to machining big cnc parts , material Inconel 718 150ksi and a lot of 4-40 UNC thread in; normally with small thread size, we use EDM to remove broken tap, it takes a long time to finish. Do we have any better way to do it? And what tool supplier make the best tap for this material? Thank you.

Hmm.  Not sure if I've ever seen a question like that answered here but good luck. You may have better luck on a metal working forum.

Call a local machine shop. I think there is a tool to do this.  I'll ask my son to check with the machine shop at work..

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, NGrimberg said:

Hello all, 

We are going to machining big cnc parts , material Inconel 718 150ksi and a lot of 4-40 UNC thread in; normally with small thread size, we use EDM to remove broken tap, it takes a long time to finish. Do we have any better way to do it? And what tool supplier make the best tap for this material? Thank you.

We also use EDM for small tap removal, laser might be an option but unless you have a laser in-house it's probably not worth sending outside. If your customer will allow, use form taps in the 718 for 4-40 threads. They are much stronger than regular taps and last a lot longer.