New to me No 3

Jfitz

I just received this #3 I landed on eBay. It's in decent shape - a little ding on the handle that the seller cleverly avoided showing in the listing, but I intend on using this and not just displaying it so I don't care. Price was right. I think I'll like this size over a #4 for smaller pieces. It's pretty clean but I'll disassemble, touch up a few areas that have some slight rust, and maybe touch up the sides and bottom. The iron is sharp-ish but I'll do a complete setup of back and bevel before putting it to use. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d20a75d8603f3562e4b0aa94a0e7ce34.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0c6d192ad741fb4aecf9668df611dd67.jpeg

I'm so confused, the low knob screams pre type 10 but the lever iron is type 12 ... THE HORROR!!!

I still need to tune up my #3 and buy a replacement blade for it. I know people like to use the Stanley ones but i just have sooo much better results from good modern steel.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm so confused, the low knob screams pre type 10 but the lever iron is type 12 ... THE HORROR!!!

Haha, yeah.  It's actually mostly a type 11  - the high knob came in at type 12 I believe.....but the cap is from a type 13 (or later).  It definitely is a 'worker', not a collectable - and priced accordingly, so it is what it is.  I am going to work with the stock blade for now and see how it goes.

9 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

Haha, yeah.  It's actually mostly a type 11  - the high knob came in at type 12 I believe.....but the cap is from a type 13 (or later).  It definitely is a 'worker', not a collectable - and priced accordingly, so it is what it is.  I am going to work with the stock blade for now and see how it goes.

Oh i was 1 number off on my numbers :D oopps. I was joking more than anything, none of my Stanly planes could be considered collectors it's not why i buy them or like them. I think they are just well made tools.

Hope that it works out well for you. When i get some down time i'm excited to get my #3 up and running but i have a lot of stuff to get done and work is hitting the busy season.

Good luck with yours - hope you find time for it soon.  I'm mostly in the same camp - it's not why I buy them either, other than the "oldness" and period of the planes (which I find really cool).  None of mine are "collectors", and IMO the more I use them the better they are.  If I want a paper weight, I'll go in the yard and find a rock.

Might just be the perspective of the photo.  It's a little lighter in color than my other planes but it looks about the same size.  IT could even be a replacement - and I can always make another one if it's an issue.

1 hour ago, Jfitz said:

Might just be the perspective of the photo.  It's a little lighter in color than my other planes but it looks about the same size.  IT could even be a replacement - and I can always make another one if it's an issue.

I see. The knob on my LN #3 is noticeably smaller than the one on my #4, same brand. That's why it looked oversized to me.