vinnyjojo

Spring Pole Lathe with Roy

This is so cool.  Great you were able to take the class.   I think he would be fun to have around and learn from.

That looks like a worthwhile experience.   Roy looks like he'd be fun to have around. I went to a Lost Trades Fair this year and they had some of those lathes. Interesting to see but not my cup of tea. 

Awesome!!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I would so like to do that and make the lathe in particular.

Fantastic!!   Ready to unload those ugly, yellow machines you picked up a week or so ago??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too friggin cool Vinn! Just too cool! Congrats! And to be clear, which one is you and which one is Roy? 

Exactly my feeling about the school and Roy.

Spent 2017 in NC, just 45 min from Pittsboro and ended up taking 4 classes at the school: the tool box, next the bench, then a one day sharpening with Bill and finally the Windsor chair with Elia.

Did know nothing about woodworking before that. Now I am addicted. :wub:

• Like 1

That looks like it had to be an absolute blast Vinny.  I bet it was worth every penny.

Thanks Vinny!  My work is machine work. But if I could I would love to do that class. My traveling days are done. But thanks to you Vinny I live the experience through you!. Thanks for the ride.

Classes like that are so much fun.  Glad you had a great time.

Vinn , at the end of the class, was there an evening with Roy for celebrations and high fives?

Very cool. Is the reciprocating motion difficult to get used to? I want to build a foot powered lathe that spins continuously in one direction, have yet to find any info online about something like that, but plan to look more.  

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, JosephThomas said:

Very cool. Is the reciprocating motion difficult to get used to? I want to build a foot powered lathe that spins continuously in one direction, have yet to find any info online about something like that, but plan to look more.  

That'd be a "treadle lathe" should be able to find some things online, and I think there were some made in cast iron right before electricity took over. 

• Thanks 1

That'd be a "treadle lathe" should be able to find some things online, and I think there were some made in cast iron right before electricity took over. 

You’re referring to Barnes Lathe. Continuous motion. I think Shannon has come one. I used the Barnes #5 metal lathe version at the school.

The foot pedal is hard as all hell to get used to. You can steer the rope on the piece (if you really were good) with the direction of your foot...for me, I just keep steering the rope off the workpiece entirely!
There’s plenty of modifications you can make to the foot pedal. I’ll likely put the back of the pedal in a triangular base so it can’t rock from side to side (imagine a spring-loaded see-saw with nothing preventing side to side motion). That should solve most issues.

When I asked Roy why the foot pedal is just a board his response was “we ran out of time filming and I never changed it”. Ha!

It’s mostly novelty, but super cool that it breaks down and knocks back together rather quickly. Plus, now I can turn in my driveway without my three young kids getting sucked into the machinery.

Really though, that class could’ve easily been called ‘ learn to make a wedged tenon trestle table by hand...and also a crazy lathe’.

The best things I learned were ogees and decorative profiles with only a chisel, using hollows and rounds, and cutting huge mortise and tenons by hand.

The other huge thing I mentioned above, that I’ve never seen before... was building a dead nuts square machine using boards that aren’t even close to square. Everything was based off using an old framing square, marking gauge, and using (most importantly) consistent reference surfaces (every single time) for layout. Super cool stuff.
  • Like 1

That si really cool Vinnie.  If you get bored with it out in the garage it could be an interesting conversation piece in the house... and coat rack. :)

Well..There is something else I have never seen before this thread... Your all good when the power goes out unless you break a leg. ;)  Very cool Vinnie

This in combination with the lathe rant thread has me wondering if a spring pole lathe would be terrible lathe for a beginer? Have you had a lot of experience on lathes before this guy? From following Shannon Rodgers and WT all i know is that sharper tools are a must.

27 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

has me wondering if a spring pole lathe would be terrible lathe for a beginer?

I sold my lathe about 4 years ago because I just wasn't finding myself interested in turning.  The guy that bought it had a treadle lathe that he was trying to learn to use.  He was a newbie at both and said that he was buying my lathe to learn how to turn.  Once he was comfortable with that he was going to go back and build his skill at operating the treadle but said that trying to learn both at the same time wasn't going well.  But he did mention that there were people in his turning group that had only turned on a treadle so it can be done from a newbie stand point, just wasn't working for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use to have a Lathe and made some table legs and two lamps  ..It was fun but I also lost interest.  It just sat there taking up space so I traded it for a shaper. 

I loaned my lathe to Vinny, so I guess it's my fault he got hooked. Just didn't have the wall space for it in the new shop. Figure if I want to turn something it's all set up whenever I need it. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how good you are at walking, and chewing gum at the same time.

I met Roy, just by chance, when walking by his house in Hillsborough, sometime during his last year in school. There was a class in his backyard making about 10 shave horses.  I walked up, wondering what they were going to do with all those shave horses, before I ever realized there was such a thing as a woodworking class.  He took me inside, showed me around all his tools, and had me try his spring pole lathe.   I remember I was able to put some scratches on a piece of wood, but it was not auto-intuitive to use.   I can't remember the year, but think it was sometime around 1977.

This in combination with the lathe rant thread has me wondering if a spring pole lathe would be terrible lathe for a beginer? Have you had a lot of experience on lathes before this guy? From following Shannon Rodgers and WT all i know is that sharper tools are a must.

I can confidently say that yes ...a spring pole Lathe would be a terrible lathe for a beginner. It’s like patting your head ,rubbing your tummy ,and operating a lathe all at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2