Sign in to follow this  
Brendon_t

Used lathe rant

On 5/14/2018 at 12:25 PM, Chestnut said:

You could add a VFD to your old lathe .... just ya know throwing that out there.

WHERE CAN I LEARN THIS POWER?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Johnny4 said:

WHERE CAN I LEARN THIS POWER?

Yeah i know what a VFD is and how it works but to explain how to install one is outside my Enginerding skills.

18 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah i know what a VFD is and how it works but to explain how to install one is outside my Enginerding skills.

Instead of plugging into the 3 pH outlet, the motor is wired to the drive which converts from 1 to 3 phase. How it's wired really depends on the vfd but I can't imagine it being that hard.

The VFD (variable frequency drive) takes the place of the switch.   Three wires in from the power cord, and three wires out to the motor.   You get all sorts of choices by pushing buttons to change the readout to what you want, including direction, and how fast the motor spins up to final rpm.               I have one on my big bandsaw, and one on the big compressor, which are currently the only 3-phase tools I'm running.  

I can't remember if it has to be 3phase motor though .... My guess is maybe depends on if the startup circuit works in lower frequencies.

I don't know about single phase motors, and VFD's.   I know some variable speed heat pumps use them to control the motor speed, but those are 3 phase to 3 phase commercial units.   I only looked into the ones I needed to run 3 phase from single phase source,  and I like them a lot, but it would be an expensive speed control on a cheap lathe.