Sign in to follow this  
Jason Goodrich

Sculpted Rocker, The Long Game

Maybe the tree wasn't happy about having a concrete wall next to it ?

I hope you get enough wood to build your rocker.  Read up on drying wood ! Sealing the ends very soon is important. 

Should look amazing! I made some sculpted bar stools out of similar material last year and really like the way they turned out.

• Like 1

Great start, looks a lot like mine.

Having the history with the wood of taking it from stump to rocker will be a very slow, but cool experience.

Looks like a big split of heart and sap wood. Which are you planning on using?

I think you need to find a kiln and get this project going at a faster pace... we're burning daylight here. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like a big split of heart and sap wood. Which are you planning on using?

It depends on how it looks dried. There is some spalting in the heartwood that could add character. I am pretty novice, especially building with hardwoods, so I don’t know what complications I may be in for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to find a kiln and get this project going at a faster pace... we're burning daylight here. [emoji3]

Has anyone seen plans for a diy radio frequency vacuum kiln? That would speed it up. It should be a cheap and easy diy project as well. [emoji6]

I am planning to buy the new Laguna midi lathe if I can ever get one from a local store before they sell out again. So build a stand out of a couple of the smaller slabs. Nothing under 2” finished dimension. The grain looks really nice so I am looking forward to using it some more in the future. It is still not fully dry, but close enough for a shop stand. 

382CC6ED-626C-4D68-A6CC-90B6777118EE.jpeg

• Like 2

I got the lathe this weekend and it looks awesome. The speed controller isn't working right though and Laguna is sending out a new part. I will probably do a thread about the lathe once I get it fully up and running. 

• Like 1